Re: [alto] [altoext] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Thu, 01 March 2012 04:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:54:09 -0500
From: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: alto@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [alto] [altoext] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

Enrico and Dave,

Good discussions. Here is my $.01 input on data centers/controlled
environments.
Two examples came to mind:

- A datacenter may consist of multiple frameworks to schedule
applications. A
popular example is the Map-Reduce (Hadoop) framework. Preliminary network
aware capabilities exist; for example, see Rack Awareness
(http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs_user_guide.html#Rack+Awareness).
The document
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12345251/Rack_aware_HDFS_proposal.pdf)

discusses distances among nodes in simple settings as well.

- In
(http://static.usenix.org/events/hotice11/tech/full_papers/Wang_Ye.pdf),
motivated by the need of MS Lync, the framework aggregates information
beyond
network-centric but also app level information to provide an enterprise
information
portal.

For both settings, I feel that more abstract and more aggregated
presentation of
information, say using ALTO, can be valuable/preferred.

Richard