Re: [alto] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@neclab.eu> Mon, 05 March 2012 09:52 UTC

From: Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@neclab.eu>
To: Songhaibin <haibin.song@huawei.com>, Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, "altoext@ietf.org" <altoext@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 09:51:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.2.227]
Subject: Re: [alto] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

Hi Haibin,

> If ALTO provides the information about what contents/apps are
> available on which endpoints/servers, that will make the ALTO server look
> like a huge resource directory, which is hard to manage and should be
> provided by the application themselves.
True, if ALTOext would provide details about all content-IDs etc. But what if ALTOext would only provide information about which TYPES/CLASS of content is stored at a given endpoint/server, e.g. "videos larger than 1MB for content provider xyz.com" or "videos encoded as x from content provider z"?

 - Jan