Re: [alto] New draft on use cases for ALTO & CDNs

"Bitar, Nabil N" <nabil.n.bitar@verizon.com> Tue, 03 May 2011 07:17 UTC

From: "Bitar, Nabil N" <nabil.n.bitar@verizon.com>
To: Richard Alimi <rich@velvetsea.net>, stefano previdi <sprevidi@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 03:17:10 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Bitar, Nabil N" <nabil.n.bitar@verizon.com>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>, Grant Watson <grant.watson@bt.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] New draft on use cases for ALTO & CDNs

Hi,
Consolidating the use cases in one document is a good suggestion and it is naturally needed.
However, I feel having the requirements in the same document as the use cases provides better context to the requirements in one document.
If the consensus is to separate the two, it is fine too. I has been done both ways.

Thanks,
Nabil

On 4/30/11 11:30 AM, "Richard Alimi" <rich@velvetsea.net> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM, stefano previdi <sprevidi@cisco.com> wrote:
> Ben, Jan, Nabil, Grant, Richard, Richard, Reinaldo,
>
> thinking more about it, I believe the requirements will have to be put
> into a separate draft, for clarity.
>
> I agree with Jan about the duplication of text between alto-cdn and your
> draft so we should merge. Therefore, I'd propose the following plan:
>
> Co-authors of alto-cdn and jenkins draft meet and propose a unified
> use cases description draft. At this stage most of the work will be just
> editorial (cut/paste) as we clearly agree on the content (i.e.: use case
> description).
>
> It would be good to come reasonably soon with a proposal to the WG.
>
> How does it sound ?

This sounds great to me.

Rich

> s.
>

> On Apr 28, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Ben Niven-Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Jan, Stefano, Colleagues,

>>> This seems to be most logical split.
>>>

>> Agreed.

>>> The first two uses cases in draft-jenkins-cdn-use-cases are described in
>>> draft-penno-alto-cdn. Agreed that the text from draft-penno-alto-cdn
>>> should be merged into the appropriate sections of
>>> draft-jenkins-cdn-use-cases.
>>
>> I'm OK with that. When I read draft-penno-alto-cdn I found it hard to
>> extract text that is pure use case though but if you could provide text or
>> pointers to sections I'm happy to start discussing how we could merge the
>> use case text in draft-penno-alto-cdn with that in
>> draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases.

>> My opinion is that the requirements should be documented separately to the
>> solutions. I don't currently have a strong opinion about whether they should
>> be documented in draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases or a separate draft.
>>
>> Ben

Nabil Bitar, PhD
Principal Member of Technical Staff
Packet Network Technology
Verizon Corporate Network and Technology

60 Sylvan Road
Waltham, MA 02451
Office Phone: (781) 466-2161