[alto] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 25 October 2023 09:49 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang@ietf.org, alto-chairs@ietf.org, alto@ietf.org, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, jim@rfc1035.com, mellon@fugue.com, scott.rose@nist.gov
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 02:49:46 -0700
Subject: [alto] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-15: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-alto-oam-yang-15

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

Special thanks to Mohamed Boucadair for the shepherd's detailed write-up
including the WG consensus and the justification of the intended status.

Other thanks to Ted Lemon and Scott Rose, the DNS directorate reviewers, please
consider this dns-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-alto-oam-yang-15-dnsdir-telechat-lemon-2023-10-23/
(authors should probably reply on the email thread)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-alto-oam-yang-14-dnsdir-telechat-rose-2023-10-19/
(and I have seen authors' reply)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS

## NMDA support

I often see YANG RFC stating their support (or lack of) NMDA (RFC 8342), is
there any reason why NMDA support is not stated in the text ?

## Section 3 (comments can be ignored)

While it does not hurt, several acronyms are really well-known, hence no need
to expand them.

Is "O&M" really used in other documents ? First time that I see this acronym.

## Section 5.1

As the module is prefixed by the ietf-alto namespace, strongly suggest to use
another term than "alto" at the root and even more s/alto-client/client/
s/alto-server/server/

## Section 5.3.1.1

As I am trusting the SEC ADs' reviews, I will not ballot a blocking DISCUSS,
please remove all HTTP (as opposed to HTTPS) in the text and in the data model
itself. Or is "http" used instead of "https" ? But, then why is there a "tls"

Later in the YANG module itself, it seems that the TLS termination would be
done in a different node, then how can this TLS termination be configured ? If
confirmed, then adding some text in this section would make the reader's task
easier.

## Section 5.3.2

I am sorry, but relying on SYSLOG in 2023 seems really legacy...

## Section 7.1

Some identities would benefit if the units where mentioned in the description
instead of providing a pointer to another RFC (e.g., for delay-rt), adding a
meaningful description (such as "round-trip delay") would also be benefitial
for the reader.

## Section A.5

The example should also have a listen to "::/0" for IPv6

# NITS

## Section 4.2 and other places

s/the data models/the data model/ or /the data modules/ as this I-D defines a
single data model consisting of several data modules.