Re: [Anima] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 18 October 2019 03:57 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:57:15 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra@ietf.org, tte+ietf@cs.fau.de, anima@ietf.org, anima-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

While recovering from today's telechat, I noticed that I seem to have never
replied to this one!  (Luckily, there's not much to say...)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 05:46:37PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Combining your August 9 and September 3 emails, and removing resolved items.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y2kmjqmm for diffs aginst -26.
> (also includes changes for Alexey)
> Submitting -27 in process.
>
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
>     >> This was asked by Eric as well.
>     >> It's the Subject Key Identifier that we want.
>     >> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.2
>     >>
>     >> It's only guaranteed to exist in CA certificates.
>     >> Do you think we can demand that the extension be present in IDevID?
>
>     > I'm doubtful that we have enough leverage to make that stick.
>
> Subsequent discussion with my co-authors has pointed out that the
> certificate that will be pinned in the voucher (as pinned-domain-cert) is the
> *domain cert*, that is, the domain's CA.  As a CA, will most likely have the
> right SubjectKeyIdentifier calculated already.

Maybe I've just been reading too many copies of different text in flux, but
I'm not sure that the current text gives me a clear picture of who picks
what will be pinned and how much choice they have in the matter.  But, if
it's the "root" (last certificate in the chain) presented by the registrar
for the provisional TLS connection, I think things are pretty
self-consistent about it.

> [...]
>     > potentially follow that over time if the device has to reenroll".  Now, for
>     > the high-end router case there is literally nothing new here -- the vendor
>     > is assumed to already be doing inventory tracking of which customers have
>     > which routers!  But I think it's important to make the connection from
>     > "knows identity" to "tracking", since this topic will come up for any use
>     > of BRSKI in other situations.
>
> I've tweaked some text, in section 10.3, but I feel I am just moving the
> chairs around on the Titanic here.
>
>     doc> 3.  Secure auto-discovery of the pledge's MASA by the registrar (see
>     doc> Section 2.8).
>
>     ben> I don't think this is an ironclad property, since the crypto chain is
>     ben> slightly limited and you are in effect trusting the pledge to hand you
>     ben> something that says "use this issuer" but without as much crypto to back
>     ben> that up as we might want.  We have to know that the given manufacturer
>     ben> that signed the IDevID actually is associated with the device we're
>     ben> trying to bootstrap, which can probably be arranged but I don't remember
>     ben> being called out explicitly.
>
>     mcr> There are two issues here.
>
>     mcr> One is the question of what is the list of acceptable manufacturers (below).
>     mcr> The second part is whether a pledge could provide a fake IDevID to
>     mcr> the Registrar.  The pledge is doing TLS ClientCertificate, so the TLS
>     mcr> has proven that the pledge has the private key corresponding to the
>     mcr> certificate presented.  I conclude that an arbitrary IDevID can not be
>     mcr> provided by the Pledge; it has to be linked to SOME manufacturer. Some
>
>     > Well, it has to be linked to some entity that signed the IDevID.  That may
>     > or may not be a manufacturer, but the Registrar does have the capability to
>     > look at what signed the IDevID and apply a whitelist of known, verified,
>     > manufacturers.
>
> Yes.  Even if we throw full Remote Attestation at the problem, if the
> Registrar decides to trust Malware Inc. to attest to it's BFR's then it's
> gonna have Malware.
>
>     mcr> manufacturer A could point it's product at MASA B, but I don't see how this
>     mcr> is an issue if MASA B will issues vouchers that pledge A can verify.
>
>     mcr> (The pledge could have a variety of certificates from
>     mcr> a variety of sources, perhaps all bound to the same public key, I guess, and
>     mcr> since the Registrar sends it's certificate first, the pledge could present
>     mcr> different identities to different networks. I think that this is a feature,
>     mcr> not a bug.  It reminds that "Kenmore" brand appliances were made by a variety
>     mcr> of manufacturers, but I don't see my dishwasher can know what identity
>     mcr> to use until after there is communication with the MASA)
>
>     ben> Sure, that is probably a feature at least in some cases.
>     ben> But can we assume that a given pledge has a single distinguished

Okay.  I think that means I don't want to ask for any text changes as a
result.

> [...]
>     >>
>     >> Manufacturer, as it's implicit.  That's how EST works today.
>
>     > So you think "implicit" is enough and adding something like "burned-in" or
>     > "manufacturer-assigned" is overkill?
>
> It says:
>       a manufacturer-assigned Implicit Trust Anchor database (see <xref target="RFC7030"/>) MUST
>
> now.
>
>     >> There is a TLS connection between them.  Yes, it could go anywhere.
>     >> The proxy was link-local, and the proxy pointed the connection at the
>     >> Registrar.  I guess it would be useful if the proxy was stateful, and
>     >> contributed another cryptographic layer for non-ACP cases.
>     >>
>     >> In the ACP case, the Registrar knows it can trust the proxy because it's on
>     >> the ACP, and is connecting from an ULA address that is part of the ACP.
>     >>
>     >> Yes, the Registrar could be anywhere, but the proxy makes it appear
>     >> to be on the local link.
>     >>
>     >> I'm not sure what else I can add to the text.
>
>     > "There is a TLS connection between a and b" says almost nothing without
>     > some additional context -- there are millions of machines I can make a TLS
>     > connection to from here.  I assume that the unstated context here is that
>     > the pledge is expected to be in a limited-connectivity environment, so the
>     > fact that the network allowed the connection through to the registrar
>     > conveys meaning.  But I don't remember anything in this document that
>     > actually validates that the pledge really is in a limited network
>     > environment.  Could some rogue node ("attacker") be trying to talk to a
>     > proxy or registrar directly, from somewhere else in the network?  How would
>     > we tell?
>
> There is a TLS connection from the ACP's ULA/128 to ULA/128 implies that it's not going
> the Internet directly.
>
> A rogue node could be on the join network (the one with link-local
> connectivity), and could operate and announce a Join Proxy.
>
> What could it do?
> a) it could have some other backhaul (1200-baud modem, LTE, 100G, etc.) that
>    connects it to some (other?) Registrar.  Whether or not this is a malicious
>    attack, or just another possible network depends upon intent (in the legal
>    sense, not the SUPA sense)
>
> b) it could double proxy the traffic to another Join Proxy on the real
>    network. It could then observe TLS framing, which for TLS 1.2 means
>    observing certificates.  If it does not mount a MITM attack, then
>    it is not clear to me what it causes.
>    If it does mount a MITM attack, then it is just a malicious registrar,
>    and either it succeeds in getting a voucher issued (because the MASA
>    agrees), or it fails and the pledge moves on.
>
> If the legitimate Registrar has a rogue Proxy on it's ACP network, then
> that's a great concern, but it's really not any different than (b).

I'm just reiterating that we have to be careful how we talk about the
proximity assertion; in the absence of knowing that the pledge is trying to
join the ACP and is talking to a member of the ACP over a link-local
address, there's not much to draw from the fact that there's a TLS
connection.  The -28 is in pretty decent shape about this, though I think I
noted one or two places in ballot.

>     >> But, that's why we have SHOULD, and the SHOULD (vs MUST) part was really to
>     >> allow for some fancy HTTP/3 we know nothing about :-)
>
>     > :)
>
>     > Do we still want to say "HTTP 1.1 persistent connections" vs. "HTTP
>     > persistent connections", though?
>
> I am using the latter now.

Please double-check; I think I saw one in the -28 (but didn't make a note
of where).

>     >> I have an open request to *** MAX *** to clarify this part.
>     >>
>     >> > o  The registrar performs log verifications in addition to local
>     >> > authorization checks before accepting optional pledge device
>     >> > enrollment requests.
>     >>
>     >> > Maybe give us a section reference to what the "log validations" are?
>     >>
>     >> We decided that we did not have enough experience to write normative language
>     >> here.  (It's not an Internet Standard)
>
>     > It doesn't have to be normative, but some discussion of things that might
>     > come into consideration during that process could still be useful.
>
> Section 5.8.3 has a fair bit of text on the log verificiations.
> I've added a forward reference.  Section 5.8.3 finishes with:
>
>    A relatively simple policy is to white list known (internal or
>    external) domainIDs.  To require all vouchers to have a nonce.
>    Alternatively to require that all nonceless vouchers be from a subset
>    (e.g. only internal) of domainIDs.  If the policy is violated a
>    simple action is to revoke any locally issued credentials for the
>    pledge in question or to refuse to forward the voucher.  The
>    Registrar MUST then refuse any EST actions, and SHOULD inform a human
>    via a log.  A registrar MAY be configured to ignore (i.e. override
>    the above policy) the history of the device but it is RECOMMENDED
>    that this only be configured if hardware assisted (i.e.  TPM
>    anchored) Network Endpoint Assessment (NEA) [RFC5209] is supported.
>
> And that's all the comments that I see.
> I believe I'm done.

We need to get you a prize for responding to so many comments.

Thanks again!

-Ben