Re: Zone Name Change Prototype

Sari Harrison <sdh@apple.com> Tue, 27 April 1993 23:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 16:19:19 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Sari Harrison <sdh@apple.com>
To: apple-ip@cayman.com
Subject: Re: Zone Name Change Prototype

Tom Evans writes:
>I (now) notice that in the MIB this table is "optional", so I shouldn't be
>complaining. However this means that MS code writers will either have to
>write (and test) TWO sets of Router-finding-code, or will have not not
>use the table as they can't guarantee it will be there.

We were thinking more along the lines that there had to be at least one router
on the network in question that supported the list. How this router is found
is a good question, but possibly merely input by the network administrator.
This does not preclude stations from finding the routers themselves if they
are so inclined.  Incidentally, the coding was easy, but I understand your
concerns about additional memory required.  You could always let the user
decide whether or not they want it.  I included an overview of our scheme for
perusal at the bottom of this message if anyone is interested.

As for zone name changing with IP, that is up to the MS developers, and no,
the neighboring routers list doesn't help them.

>I gather the use of "optional" in official MIBs (as distinct from
>private ones) is "strongly frowned upon".
But not prohibited? :)

About the new zone list.  We put a zone index in there more for simplicity's
sake than anything else.  I like it better, personally, so if we're voting...
I wasn't sure what you meant by having the two tables be exactly alike (apart
from the indexing).  The only other difference is the status variable which
the new zone list doesn't need.  Are you suggesting we add one anyway?  And
yes, the newZoneName should be AtName (SIZE (1..32)).

Ciao,
Sari Harrison
Apple Computer, Inc.

Our Neighboring Routers List implementation overview:
We allocate one byte per potential router on the net for each AppleTalk port
on the router.  This is 254 * number of nets in range.  Yes, this gets big if
the range is large.  When an RTMP packet is received, we update the byte
corresponding to the router's address to a state of "good".  This is a very
small percentage of the work we do when we get an RTMP packet.  In addition,
every 10 seconds (we could easily make this 20 or 30) we go through the whole
structure decrementing the state of each that is not 0.  This scheme
admittedley is not going to scale well to a network with a very large net
range but should be reasonable in most scenarios.  The SNMP agent reports any
routers with a state of "good" or "good-1".  In conclusion, we think it is a
very viable scheme in most networks and if the network range is very large
could be left to one router per network to be designated by the network
administrator.