Re: [apps-discuss] Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-5892bis-04.txt> (The Unicode code points and IDNA - Unicode 6.0) to Proposed Standard

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 29 May 2011 19:14 UTC

Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 15:14:00 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>
Cc: apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-5892bis-04.txt> (The Unicode code points and IDNA - Unicode 6.0) to Proposed Standard

--On Sunday, May 29, 2011 13:25 +0200 Patrik Fältström
<patrik@frobbit.se> wrote:

> FWIW, although I agree with John and expect me getting a fair
> number of editorial corrections because of English not being
> my native language when this document hit the RFC editor, I
> have slightly changed the first paragraph in the upcoming new
> version to the following:
>
> (sorry, can not generate TXT now, but you get the point...)
>
> If you have other suggested changes, let me know.

> algorithm that    was defined when

Please say "rule set" or something like that, not "algorithm".
While "algorithm" is strictly correct, some people will read it
as pseudo-code, and our principle should remain that anything
that produces the save results is correct.

>  <xref> target="Unicode5.2">version 5.0 (later
> updated to version 5.2)</xref>
> was the current version of Unicode, and it also
> defines a derived property value based on that algorithm.

Again, "rule set" or some such thing.   In addition, IMO, I
think that, if you are going to make that change, you should add
an extra sentence that says something like "That derived
property value is, in turn, used to generate the tables shown in
Appendix B and their successors".   Neither the derived property
value nor the tables are themselves normative: they depend on a
particular version of Unicode, which the rules do not."

> Unicode 6.0 has changed GeneralCategory of three code points
> that    where allocated in Unicode 5.2 or earlier. This imply
> the derived    property value differs depending on whether the
> property definitions    used are from Unicode 5.2 or 6.0.
> </t>

Editorial recommendation (no change in meaning):

Unicode 6.0 changed the GeneralCategory of three code points
that had been allocated in Unicode 5.2 or earlier. The
consequence of that change is that the derived property value
for those code points differs depending on whether the property
definitions used are from Unicode 5.2 or 6.0. </t>

  --john