Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-03.txt

Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> Tue, 25 January 2011 15:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:39:00 +0100
From: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
Cc: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, apps-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] For consideration as an appsawg document: draft-hoffman-server-has-tls-03.txt

Barry, Paul,

This is an important draft that has broad impact.  In particular, this
approach would trim the double IANA port assignment requests that do
occur and that we would like to see not occur.  I do have several
substantial comments about the draft:

1.  The draft states that DNSSEC MUST be used, and there is some logic
to this.  If you have an unprotected communication then it is possible
for both an upgrade DOS attack and downgrade MITM attack.  That having
been said, let's at least note that this is a substantial gating
function to implementation.

2.  I don't understand unde what circumstances CFB would be used.  The
reason that such fallback mechanisms exist is because the client doesn't
have knowledge of what server capabilities are.  In this case, the
server through DNS is expressing its capabilities to the client, so when
is CSO applicable?

3.  The presentation form of the new RR is not self-explanatory.  Might
I recommend something like (servicename-or-number/protocol TLS=port#
plain=port#).

4.  In the case of a hostname that offers many services and may be in
some way virtualized, the client may have to sift through quite a number
of 3-tuples to retrieve relevant information.  Another approach would be
to make use of a DKIM-like approach in the RR label, although one would
have to take care that a label not contain all numbers (I seem to recall
that's not allowed).

5.  Perhaps most important, this service should be generalized in a
different way.  What is being proposed here is a host connection policy
record.  TLS is not the only issue.  Another issue would be whether SCTP
is in use for a given, for instance.  I wonder if this draft should be
recast in a more extensible approach, so that a host doesn't need to
query for a bunch of records (TCP, DTLS, SCTP, etc.).

6.  Along these lines we should view this as an evolution of SRV.

Thanks,

Eliot