Re: [apps-discuss] timezone database maintenance

Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca> Thu, 03 March 2011 16:57 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:58:55 -0500
From: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>
To: apps-discuss@ietf.org, draft-lear-iana-timezone-database@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] timezone database maintenance

comments:

A) XML IANA
- IANA has been converting its "old" registries to XML native format.
- for new registries, XML is used as native format.
- TZ database has its own format.
- wonder if it would be relevant to have IANA do the registry in XML (as
others and to be managed by the same tools) and then convert to the TZ
database format.

B) draft shall be updated before IETF last call on the warning of
community concensus. ie.
"ATTENTION: This memo contains a DRAFT proposal for the IANA to assume
    operational responsibilities relating to the management of the
    Timezone (TZ) Database.  The authors seek comment and review of this
    proposal.  No action will be taken without rough consensus of the TZ
    community."

Should be either changed, updated or removed.

C) Reference code.

I'm not sure IANA is the right place to archive software code.  why not
have a separate web site/sourceforge/google code/... place for managing
this?

Marc.