Re: [aqm] adoption of draft-white-aqm-docsis-pie-01

Greg White <g.white@CableLabs.com> Mon, 30 March 2015 14:46 UTC

From: Greg White <g.white@CableLabs.com>
To: Szilveszter Nadas <Szilveszter.Nadas@ericsson.com>, "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>, Dave Dolson <ddolson@sandvine.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:46:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.4.11.35]
Cc: "'aqm@ietf.org'" <aqm@ietf.org>, "aqm-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <aqm-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] adoption of draft-white-aqm-docsis-pie-01

Szilveszter,

Thank you for the review and comments.  I will update the draft with your
suggestions.

On your question, DOCSIS-PIE does not utilize fair queuing.  DOCSIS modems
do support multiple queues, but each queue is (generally) an independent
MAC layer service, with independent QoS configuration and scheduling.

The general-purpose PIE algorithm does rate estimation so that it can work
in systems where the egress rate is not otherwise known.  We did
experiment with an FQ-PIE implementation, as described in:

http://www.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DOCSIS-AQM_May2014.pdf

Even in this case, we chose to not utilize egress rate estimation.

-Greg