Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9302 <draft-ietf-lisp-6834bis-14> for your review

Luigi IANNONE <luigi.iannone@huawei.com> Tue, 13 September 2022 11:24 UTC

From: Luigi IANNONE <luigi.iannone@huawei.com>
To: "rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, "damien.saucez@inria.fr" <damien.saucez@inria.fr>, "Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be" <Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be>
CC: "lisp-ads@ietf.org" <lisp-ads@ietf.org>, "lisp-chairs@ietf.org" <lisp-chairs@ietf.org>, "padma.ietf@gmail.com" <padma.ietf@gmail.com>, "auth48archive@rfc-editor.org" <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:24:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.221.204.70]
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9302 <draft-ietf-lisp-6834bis-14> for your review

Hi,

Thank you very much for this review,
See comments inline.

Can be simplified to:

It is not meant to replace any existing LISP mechanism, rather providing new functionalities.

Better?

> Original:
>    This document obsoletes RFC 6834 "Locator/ID Separation Protocol
>    (LISP) Map-Versioning", which is the initial experimental
>    specifications of the mechanisms updated by this document.
>
> Original:
>    This document obsoletes [RFC6834], which is the initial experimental
>    specifications of the mechanisms updated by this document.
> -->
I guess the second is actually new text, which reads better.

> 3) <!-- [rfced]  In the following, to what does "it" and "both" refer?
> Is it "Map-Versioning" or "the information"?  Because there are two uses
> and the text refers to "both cases", we suggest using updating this text
> to clearly separate the uses (e.g., perhaps use <ol> or <ul>).
>
> Original:
>    When Map-Versioning is used, LISP-encapsulated data packets contain
>    the version number of the two mappings used to select the RLOCs in
>    the outer header (i.e., both source and destination RLOCs).  This
>    information has two uses.  On the one hand, it enables the ETR
>    (Egress Tunnel Router) receiving the packet to know if the ITR
>    (Ingress Tunnel Router) is using the latest mapping version for the
>    destination EID.  If this is not the case, the ETR can directly send
>    a Map-Request containing the updated mapping to the ITR, to notify it
>    of the latest version.  The ETR can also solicit the ITR to trigger a
>    Map-Request to obtain the latest mapping by sending it a Solicit Map-
>    Request (SMR) message.  Both cases are defined in
>    [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis].  On the other hand, it enables an ETR
>    receiving such a packet to know if it has in its EID-to-RLOC Map-
>    Cache the latest mapping for the source EID.  If this is not the
>    case, a Map-Request can be sent.
> -->

New suggested text:

    When Map-Versioning is used, LISP-encapsulated data packets contain
    the version number of the two mappings used to select the RLOCs in
    the outer header (i.e., both source and destination RLOCs).  This
    information has two uses:

    1. Map-Versioning enables the ETR  (Egress Tunnel Router) receiving
        the packet to know if the ITR (Ingress Tunnel Router) is using the latest
        mapping version for the destination EID.  If this is not the case, the ETR
        can directly send a Map-Request containing the updated mapping to
        the ITR, to notify it of the latest version.  The ETR can also solicit the
        ITR to trigger a Map-Request to obtain the latest mapping by sending
        a Solicit Map- Request (SMR) message.  Both options are defined in
        [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis].

   2. Map-Versioning enables an ETR  receiving the packet to know if it
       has in its EID-to-RLOC Map-Cache the latest mapping for the
       source EID.  If this is not the case, a Map-Request can be sent.

Better?

> 4) <!--[rfced] May we update instances of "Dest Map-Version number" to
> "Destination Map-Version number" to reflect usage in RFC 6834? Note that
> this document has 2 instances of "Destination Map-Version number" and 14
> instances of "Dest Map-Version number".
>
> Original:
>    Dest Map-Version number:  Map-Version of the mapping in the EID-to-
>      RLOC Map-Cache used by the ITR to select the RLOC present in the
>      "Destination Routing Locator" field of the outer IP header of LISP-
>      encapsulated packets (Section 7.1).
> -->

Actually should be the other way around, changing the two instances of "Destination Map-Version Number: to "Dest Map-Version Number". The use of "Dest Map-Version Number" has been chosen to be inline with the figure 1 throughout the document.

> 5) <!-- [rfced] For clarity, may we update this text as follows?
>
> Original:
>    The ordering enables reacting differently to
>    "older" and "newer" Map-Version number, discarding the packet in the
>    former case and triggering a Map-Request in the latter (see Section 7
>    for further details).
>
> Perhaps:
>    The ordering enables different reactions to
>    "older" and "newer" Map-Version numbers, whereby "older" numbers are
>    discarded and "newer" numbers trigger Map-Requests (see Section 7
>    for further details).
> -->

Yes. It reads better.

> 6) <!-- [rfced] Do you want to use superscript (<sup>) here?
>
> Original:
>         V2 > V1 AND (V2 - V1) <= 2**(12-1)
>
>          OR
>
>          V1 > V2 AND (V1 - V2) > 2**(12-1)
>
> <sup> would display as follows in the text:
>          V2 > V1 AND (V2 - V1) <= 2^(12-1)
>
>          OR
>
>          V1 > V2 AND (V1 - V2) > 2^(12-1)
>
> (12-1) would display as superscript in HTML and PDF.
> -->

Yes, good idea.

> 7) <!-- [rfced] Is it the LISP site that assigns a new Map-Version number?
>
> Original:
>    The main idea of using Map-Version numbers is that whenever there is
>    a change in the mapping (e.g., adding/removing RLOCs, a change in the
>    weights due to Traffic Engineering policies, or a change in the
>    priorities) or a LISP site realizes that one or more of its own RLOCs
>    are not reachable anymore from a local perspective (e.g., through
>    IGP, or policy changes) the LISP site updates the mapping, also
>    assigning a new Map-Version number.
>
> Perhaps:
>    The main idea of using Map-Version numbers is that whenever there is
>    a change in the mapping (e.g., adding/removing RLOCs, a change in the
>    weights due to Traffic Engineering policies, or a change in the
>    priorities) or a LISP site realizes that one or more of its own RLOCs
>    are no longer reachable from a local perspective (e.g., through IGP
>    or policy changes), the LISP site updates the mapping and also assigns
>    a new Map-Version number.
> -->

The suggested text is OK.

> 8) <!-- [rfced] Is mapping intended to be singular or plural here?
>
> Original:
>    To this end simple measures can be
>    taken, like updating a mapping only when all active traffic is using
>    the latest version, or waiting sufficient time to be sure that
>    mapping in LISP caches expire, which means waiting at least as much
>    as the mapping Time-To-Live (as defined in
>    [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis]).
>
> Perhaps:
>    To this end, simple measures can be taken, like
>    updating a mapping only when all active traffic is using the latest
>    version, or waiting a sufficient amount of time to be sure that the
>    mapping in LISP caches expires, which means waiting at least as long
>    as the mapping Time To Live (TTL) (as defined in [RFC9301]).
> -->

Singular is correct.

> 9) <!-- [rfced] We are having trouble parsing this sentence.  Should the
> second instance of "ignoring the Source Map-Version number" be deleted?
>
> Original:
>    The ETR checks only the Dest Map-Version number, ignoring the Source
>    Map-Version number as specified in the final sentence of Section 7.2,
>    ignoring the Source Map-Version number.
> -->

Yes, delete the second instance.

> 10) <!-- [rfced] Please review the "Inclusive Language" portion of the online
> Style Guide <https://www.rfc-
> editor.org/styleguide/part2/#inclusive_language>
> and let us know if any changes are needed. Note that our script did not flag
> any words in particular, but this should still be reviewed as a best practice.
> -->

Nothing to change IMO.

Thanks

Ciao