Re: [auth48] [AD] [Ext] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9121 <draft-davies-int-historic-05> for your review

Karen Moore <kmoore@amsl.com> Thu, 20 April 2023 19:20 UTC

From: Karen Moore <kmoore@amsl.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:20:19 -0700
Cc: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, Amanda Baber <amanda.baber@iana.org>, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, Kim Davies <kim.davies@iana.org>, Tim Wicinski <tjw.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] [AD] [Ext] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9121 <draft-davies-int-historic-05> for your review

Hi Warren,

From the RPC perspective, there is no requirement that a document be marked "Obsoleted by" when its status is changed to "Historic”.   We ask questions when the relationships are unclear, but the decision resides with the stream managers.  We agree it is nice to include updates/obsoletes where relevant - if someone looks up RFC 1528, they can easily see that it is historic and they are referred to the RFC that provides context.

Between obsoletes and updates, we suggest obsoletes if the entire document is now obsolete and updates if only a portion is outdated.  However, as noted this is ultimately a stream decision.

Please review and confirm how the status for RFCs 1528 and 1706 should be listed.

Original:
    Request for Comments: 9121
    Updates: 1528, 1706

Thank you.