Re: [Autoconf] draft-clausen-manet-linktype - naming

"Velt, R. (Ronald) in 't" <Ronald.intVelt@tno.nl> Tue, 18 November 2008 20:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:54:45 +0100
From: "Velt, R. (Ronald) in 't" <Ronald.intVelt@tno.nl>
To: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] draft-clausen-manet-linktype - naming
Sender: autoconf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Ian,

Shouldn't we agree first that there actually is a link type "previously
known as MANET link"? My working definition for a link would be the one
Dave Thaler gives in draft-iab-ip-model-evolution-01:

"A "link" in the IP service model refers to the topological area within
which a packet with an IPv4 TTL or IPv6 Hop Limit of 1 can be
delivered." (Inherited from RFC4903, but reworded slightly).

Non-transitivity does not seem to fit this definition?

> I don't think that MANET should be in the name of the
> linktype. The characteristics and constraints of a linktype
> are not MANET specific.

Strictly speaking, you are right. But: "what's in a name?".

> (I'd also like to repeat that MANET routing protocols will
> work quite happily over other link types as well.)

IMHO, that point has been made ad nauseam in previous Autoconf sessions.
(In Philadelphia, in particular). It is true of course, but what does it
prove? We already had those other link types covered; they are not what
MANET protocols were designed for. MANET protocols come into their own
when used over these special <new name> links.

> I would rather describe these links as "non-reflexive and
> non- transitive (wireless) links". I'd also be happy with a
> nice acronym, like NBMA or UDLR.
>
> I'm interested in your thoughts. How do you think we should
> refer to this linktype?

Sorry, can't think of a cute acronym right now...

Ronald