Re: [Autoconf] draft-clausen-manet-linktype - naming

Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org> Tue, 18 November 2008 16:47 UTC

From: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:47:49 +0100
To: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>
Cc: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] draft-clausen-manet-linktype - naming
Sender: autoconf-bounces@ietf.org

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Ian Chakeres wrote:

> I'd like to start a discussion thread on the naming of this draft/
> linktype.
>
> I don't think that MANET should be in the name of the linktype. The
> characteristics and constraints of a linktype are not MANET specific.
>
> (I'd also like to repeat that MANET routing protocols will work
> quite happily over other link types as well.)

Just to point out: the above is explicitly stated in the document, so
I hope that the parenthesis that Ian bring up is clear enough since
it's a very important point.

> I would rather describe these links as "non-reflexive and non-
> transitive (wireless) links". I'd also be happy with a nice
> acronym, like NBMA or UDLR.
>
> I'm interested in your thoughts. How do you think we should refer
> to this linktype?

In truth, I have no feelings either way on this matter.

As it is, the document is only an individual submission, and does as
such not represent any official position of the IETF or indeed of any
working group.

Should a working group wish to adopt the document (and I note from
the autoconf mailing list discussions that, at least to this IETF
participant, there seems to be no clear consensus in that direction
within the autoconf working group, at least), and should that working
group wish for an alternative name, I would a priori not have any
objections.

Thomas