Re: [AVT] SVC and multiscreen

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Sun, 13 December 2009 20:07 UTC

Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:06:33 -0800
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Tom Taylor <tom111.taylor@bell.net>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVT] SVC and multiscreen

Hi,

I have privately communicated my skepticism about this draft before.

The content of this draft may have been appropriate in an SVC requirements
document, published in 2005 or so.  Indeed, most (if not all) of the
information presented here is available in the SVC requirements documents
used in JVT.

There is nothing in the document that refers to RTP, related signaling, the
transport of SVC over IP, or other aspects the IETF is concerned about.  No
codepoints are defined, no novel technical concepts are described.  No
normative content is presented.  At best, the draft contains an IMO quite
obvious application example for the use of SVC.

As the draft adds or removes nothing of substance, I have no concern that it
would create a problem for the technology defined in the SVC payload draft.
Therefore, I'm not violently objecting its inclusion.  At the same time,
though, I believe that the signal to noise ratio of the SVC draft, after
inclusion, would go down.  Therefore, I'm mildly against including it.

As for the relationship with MVC: there is none, except perhaps for the well
understood feature of MVC that allows stereo/3d content to be also displayed
as flat content on a 2d display.  Which, again, has been documented in JVT.

Stephan