Re: [AVT] New milestones approved - retransmission supression

Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com> Thu, 09 December 2010 08:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:26:33 +0800
From: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
To: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>, "'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] New milestones approved - retransmission supression

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roni Even" <Even.roni@huawei.com>
To: "'Qin Wu'" <sunseawq@huawei.com>; "'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>; <avt@ietf.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 3:08 PM

> Hi Qin,
> I can agree that the NACK in RFC 4585 is a general negative acknowledge
> (feedback) message that reports that the receiver  did not get the reported
> packet and let the sender decide how to address the loss. On the other hand
> RFC 4588 adds a semantic to the NACK message saying  "The NACK feedback
> message format defined in the AVPF profile SHOULD be used by receivers to
> send retransmission requests." Which allows the receiver to prefer a
> specific behavior from the sender. When you look at the NACK message in the
> RTCP layer you cannot know what was meant by the message.

[Qin]: Right.

> I think that what the milestone is trying to address is both usages of NACK
> which are loss reporting and retransmission requests. For the NACK loss
> reporting use case there is text in section 3.5.2 of RFC 4585 which hints
> about suppression but does not provide enough information for all use cases
> discussed in the topology RFC 5117 for both usages.

[Qin]: Good point.

> In this case the milestone should discuss both cases and recommend when to
> send NACK or a new message, so maybe we can leave the milestone as is,
> define the name of the new message to be third party loss report and explain
> the different use cases when NACK or the Third party loss report are used.

[Qin]: Yes, this is what we are doing in the new version.
 One typical example to clarify when to send a new message or NACK is SSM use case,
In the summary distribution model, the third party observing the loss cannot directly inform
the other receivers, and so a third-party loss report is needed, and a NACK cannot be used.

In the simple reflection model, NACKs from the receiver observing the loss will be reflected
to the other receivers, and there's no need for the third-party loss report.