Re: [AVT] New milestones approved - retransmission supression

Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com> Thu, 09 December 2010 07:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:08:50 +0200
From: Roni Even <Even.roni@huawei.com>
To: 'Qin Wu' <sunseawq@huawei.com>, "'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVT] New milestones approved - retransmission supression

Hi Qin,
I can agree that the NACK in RFC 4585 is a general negative acknowledge
(feedback) message that reports that the receiver  did not get the reported
packet and let the sender decide how to address the loss. On the other hand
RFC 4588 adds a semantic to the NACK message saying  "The NACK feedback
message format defined in the AVPF profile SHOULD be used by receivers to
send retransmission requests." Which allows the receiver to prefer a
specific behavior from the sender. When you look at the NACK message in the
RTCP layer you cannot know what was meant by the message.

 I think that what the milestone is trying to address is both usages of NACK
which are loss reporting and retransmission requests. For the NACK loss
reporting use case there is text in section 3.5.2 of RFC 4585 which hints
about suppression but does not provide enough information for all use cases
discussed in the topology RFC 5117 for both usages.

In this case the milestone should discuss both cases and recommend when to
send NACK or a new message, so maybe we can leave the milestone as is,
define the name of the new message to be third party loss report and explain
the different use cases when NACK or the Third party loss report are used.

Roni Even