Re: [AVTCORE] Suite B Profile for DTLS-SRTP Internet-Draft

"Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov> Wed, 01 June 2011 18:58 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 14:58:51 -0400
From: "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Glen Zorn <gwz@net-zen.net>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Suite B Profile for DTLS-SRTP Internet-Draft

Our intent wasn't to break new ground by introducing a new primitives (GCM)

and DTLS) into SRTP, but rather to follow in the footsteps of an existing  work:

For GCM we have:

Network Working Group                                          D. McGrew

Internet Draft                                       Cisco Systems, Inc.

Intended Status: Informational                          January 26, 2011

Expires: July 30, 2011

    AES-GCM and AES-CCM Authenticated Encryption in Secure RTP (SRTP)

                      draft-ietf-avt-srtp-aes-gcm-01

Abstract

   This document defines how AES-GCM, AES-CCM, and other Authenticated

   Encryption with Associated Data (AEAD) algorithms, can be used to

   provide confidentiality and data authentication mechanisms in the

   SRTP protocol.

(This had an earlier incarnation as draft-mcgrew-srtp-aes-gcm-01, but this

draft eventually expired.)

For DTLS we have:

Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)                         D. McGrew

Request for Comments: 5764                                 Cisco Systems

Category: Standards Track                                    E. Rescorla

ISSN: 2070-1721                                               RTFM, Inc.

                                                                May 2010

  Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Extension to Establish Keys

           for the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)

Abstract

   This document describes a Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)

   extension to establish keys for Secure RTP (SRTP) and Secure RTP

   Control Protocol (SRTCP) flows.  DTLS keying happens on the media

   path, independent of any out-of-band signalling channel present.

There is an existing Suite B for TLS (currently undergoing a "bis"):

Network Working Group                                          M. Salter

Request for Comments: 5430                      National Security Agency

Category: Informational                                      E. Rescorla

                                                       Network Resonance

                                                              R. Housley

                                                          Vigil Security

                                                              March 2009

           Suite B Profile for Transport Layer Security (TLS)

Status of This Memo

   This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does

   not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this

   memo is unlimited.

We wish only to show how to put these three documents together to get

Suite B for DTLS-SRTP.

Do you still think we should go thru avtcore?

P.S.  Thanks for looking at this, we've gotten next to no feedback.