Re: [AVTCORE] Comments on draft-lennox-rtcweb-rtp-media-type-mux-00

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Thu, 10 November 2011 10:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:56:21 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jonathan.rosenberg@skype.net>, IETF AVTCore WG <avt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Comments on draft-lennox-rtcweb-rtp-media-type-mux-00

Harald,

Inline

On 2011-11-07 11:37, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> why would such a gateway want to offer the BUNDLE extension in its SDP
> negotiation?
> (I'm assuming support for draft-holmberg-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation
> as the way to negotiate multiple media types in a single session here.)
>
> An assumption in the deployment of extensions is that one is able to
> negotiate their non-use where some participant does not support the
> feature. I find your arguments compelling if (and only if) I accept the
> premises that:
>
> 1) Gateways between RTCWEB deployments and non-RTCWEB deployments will
> want to relay RTP sessions rather than terminate them (something which I
> do not believe, but that's another debate)
>
> 2) Gateways between RTCWEB deployments and non-RTCWEB deployments can't
> negotiatiate non-support for the BUNDLE extension with the RTCWEB deployment
>
> Given that I believe 2) is false, I don't agree with your conclusion.

I will follow up one below. But regarding 2) that is not the reason.
Even if one can negotiate that the one bundles multiple media types in a
single RTP session, there is going to be gateways/conference nodes that
are going to turn on this feature anyway.

The reason for that behavior is that they will think this issue is a
non-issue. Short term thinking rather than long term implications. They
will like to avoid the small but existing risk of establishing more NAT
pinholes. Also, to be certain that this not occurs, you either have zero
possibility to use the non bundled session to a central node, or you
configure your central node to never use bundling to avoid this. I think
more than one developer will look at this and ignore the issue. Because
if you don't think it through it do look simple on the surface. You
simply translate the SSRCs if you end up in a collision.

When it comes to using a common session. I agree that for media mixing
central nodes (RTP mixer), the RTP session is anyway almost individual
between each end-point and end-point. The only information you forward
between the legs are the CSRC CNAMEs to ensure the possibility to bind
the information to the right sources.

But, when looking at the cheapest central node solution, the transport
relay (transport translator) the common RTP session becomes interesting
as it limits the central nodes processing to bascially a packet
forwarder. This gives you on the order of 1000 times higher capacity in
the number of streams the central node can handle compared to one that
performs media operations given the same general purpose hardware. Thus
having a common RTP session and not having to change anything within the
packets, not even having to perform decryption and encryption cycles in
the relay is a big bonus.

> The 3 viable approaches I see for gateways are:
>
> - The gateway refuses to negotiate BUNDLE with anyone
> - The gateway terminates RTP sessions
> - The gateway refuses to establish non-BUNDLE sessions at all
>
> In neither of these 3 scenarios do I see the issue you posit.

Agreed, these do avoid the issue of having to translate. From my
perspective, they should be documented and considered if they will be
followed.

Raising this issue had two goals.

1) Ensure that the issue and the implications on what one need to do is
clearly documented in the draft.

2) Raise discussion if those are acceptable

So I hope the authors at least will agree to perform 1). Regarding the
outcome of 2) that is very much open.

When it comes to 2) I think we need to take into account the
alternative. Is any of the evaluated alternatives in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtcore-transport-multiplexing/
actually less problematic?

And I think it is important we do consider what happens when WebRTC is
successful. I fear the desire to interoperate will kill of the RTP
session completely as a useful tool. Instead all RTP users will end up
with a single RTP session and we have to re-invent mechanisms for
separation when the short-coming of not having an layer of multiplexing
for media stream purposes.

I know that the window for this is closing, but I think we should at
least have some reconsideration if the direction proposed in Quebec
really was the most appropriate.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com