Re: [AVTCORE] SSRC multiplexing of RTP

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Wed, 09 March 2011 15:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:40:41 +0100
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] SSRC multiplexing of RTP

Hi Gunnar,

Gunnar Hellström skrev 2011-03-09 16:11:
> Cullen
>
> I agree. I have also got negative feedback on SSRC multiplexing.
>
> I had it described in the draft for multi-party handling of real-time
> text in draft-hellstrom-text-conference-02.txt
> in order to easily separate the streams from different sources and
> display them in a way that the receiver decides.
>
> But the feedback was that many RTP implementations would just regard it
> to be an error if a new SSRC appeared in the session and it would cause
> problems.

Well, this is how you are supposed to use cases when you have multiple
sources. And text chat is case when implementations can't really say
that they don't have the rendering capabilities for it. But I do
understand that most implementations sucks at handling multiple SSRCs
which is very bad.

My hope is that we will see a bit of signalling support for handling
multiple SSRCs as part of the CLUE work. But, we do need to push that
support for multiple SSRCs, it needs to be in the stacks.

> SSRC multiplexing also has some trickiness in that when a new SSRC
> appears in the session, it can either be an old stream that changed SSRC
> or a new multiplexed stream. RFC 3550 mentions ways to handle that but
> there is a risk for losing initial packets before it is sorted out.
> Losing initial packets in e.g. a video stream can be fatal for the
> possibility to start proper decoding rapidly.

I guess clarifications should be in place here. And your strategy for
handling it will depend a lot of what application it is and which media
one talks about.

> Taking the consequences of this, I am just about to submit a modified
> draft for the real-time text case using one stream and marking the
> source by CSRC per packet.
> It will survive through most existing RTP implementations.

So your going with a mixer design, despite that for text it isn't really
needed. I think it is unfortunate, but I guess pragmatic due to poor
implementation support.

A question to implementors:

Have you tried running the tests documented in RTP testing strategies?
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3158.txt

These are excellent tests to check that ones implementation handles what
it needs to.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com