Re: [AVTCORE] SSRC multiplexing of RTP

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Wed, 09 March 2011 15:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:11:37 +0100
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] SSRC multiplexing of RTP

Cullen

I agree. I have also got negative feedback on SSRC multiplexing.

I had it described in the draft for multi-party handling of real-time
text in draft-hellstrom-text-conference-02.txt
in order to easily separate the streams from different sources and
display them in a way that the receiver decides.

But the feedback was that many RTP implementations would just regard it
to be an error if a new SSRC appeared in the session and it would cause
problems.

SSRC multiplexing also has some trickiness in that when a new SSRC
appears in the session, it can either be an old stream that changed SSRC
or a new multiplexed stream. RFC 3550 mentions ways to handle that but
there is a risk for losing initial packets before it is sorted out.
Losing initial packets in e.g. a video stream can be fatal for the
possibility to start proper decoding rapidly.

Taking the consequences of this, I am just about to submit a modified
draft for the real-time text case using one stream and marking the
source by CSRC per packet.
It will survive through most existing RTP implementations.

/Gunnar