[AVT] Re: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Tue, 02 May 2006 07:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:23:37 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
Cc: Alik Shimelmits <alik@AXERRA.com>, Israel Sasson <israel@AXERRA.com>, "'schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu'" <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>, "'avt@ietf.org'" <avt@ietf.org>, "'iesg@ietf.org'" <iesg@ietf.org>, "'taylor@nortel.com'" <taylor@nortel.com>
Subject: [AVT] Re: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

Hi,

Have you reviewed the assignments performed in the other 2833bis drafts:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisdata-06.txt
That populate code points 32-41,43,46,48,49, 52-68.
And
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833biscas-01.txt
That populates code points 128-142,144-159,167,168,174-205.

Does the complete set of documents (all 3 of them) resolve your issues?

Cheers

Magnus

Sasha Vainshtein wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to raise the following issue with draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-12.txt.
>
> Original RFC 2833 has defined encoding of a wide range of telephony events
> including ABCD (a.k.a. CAS) signaling events. In particular, a contiguous
> block of 16 code
> points (from 144 to 159) has been allocated for 16 ABCD signals (ranging
> from 0 to 15
> accordingly).
>
> Please note that this encoding is used in in draft-ietf-pwe3-cesopsn-06.txt
> to carry structure-aware TDM services with ABCD signaling over pseudo-wires.
>
> RFC 2833 did not set up any IANA registry for the tepephony events,
> but has used the code points from 0 up to (and including) 173
> (of the 255 available code points).
>
> Looking at draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-12.txt I've found that:
>
> - this draft, when approved, would OBSOLETE RFC 2833
> - it sets up a new IANA registry for code points representing
>   DTMF tones and telephony events BUT populates this registry
>   only with 16 code points for the DTMF tones. The rest of the code
>   points defined in the original RFC 2833 are essentially INVALIDATED,
>   and IANA is free to re-allocate them as it sees fit.
>
> IMHO this could potentially create multiple backward compatibility
> issues, especialy if, as in the case of ABCD signals, contiguous
> blocks of code points are desirable for specific applications.
>
> Hence I suggest to RETAIN all the code points allocated in the original
> RFC 2833 in the mew IANA registry. This would prevent any backward
> compatibility issues while still leaving 83 free code points (174 to 255)
> for IANA to distribute. If this is not enough, some "unused code point
> reclamation process" could be run.
>
> IMHO this could be achieved by incorporating the relevant parts of the
> original RFC 2833 into the new draft.
>
> Hopefully these notes will be useful.
>
> Regards,
>        Sasha Vainshtein

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A