[AVT] RE: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com> Tue, 02 May 2006 12:24 UTC

From: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
To: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:25:44 +0200
Cc: Alik Shimelmits <alik@AXERRA.com>, Israel Sasson <israel@AXERRA.com>, "'schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu'" <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>, "'avt@ietf.org'" <avt@ietf.org>, "'iesg@ietf.org'" <iesg@ietf.org>, "'taylor@nortel.com'" <taylor@nortel.com>
Subject: [AVT] RE: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

Hi Magnus,
Thank you for a prompt and informative response.

I must admit that I did not look up
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833biscas-01.txt.
This is because it was neither mentioned in the IESG Last Call announcement
nor referenced in the core
2833bis draft.

The 2833bisdata and 2833biscas drafts seem to fill in most of the gaps in
the code point space left
by the core draft. In particular, my concern about code points for the ABCD
signaling states is
adequately addressed by the 2833biscas draft.

The problem would not arise if the all the 2833bis drafts were treated by
the IESG as a single block.
After checking with the I-D tracker I see that this is not the case, as the
2833biscas draft has not
been sent to the IESG yet.

I understand that adding the 2833biscas draft to the block now may be
problematic for the authors
and/or the WG.

As a minimum, may I suggest explicitly referencing the 2 companion drafts in
the core 2833bis
document and explaining which kinds of code points are going to be allocated
there?
The logical place for such an explanation would be, IMHO, in the IANA
Considerations section,
so that at least the IANA people could look up these documents and mark the
code points
allocated there as "reserved" once the core document has been (hopefully,
successfully)
processed by the IESG.

Regards,
                              Sasha

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-12.txt
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisd
> ata-06.txt

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com