[AVT] Re: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

"Tom-PT Taylor" <taylor@nortel.com> Tue, 02 May 2006 15:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 11:35:50 -0400
From: Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortel.com>
To: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
Cc: 'Magnus Westerlund' <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, Alik Shimelmits <alik@AXERRA.com>, Israel Sasson <israel@AXERRA.com>, "'schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu'" <schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu>, "'avt@ietf.org'" <avt@ietf.org>, "'iesg@ietf.org'" <iesg@ietf.org>, Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortel.com>
Subject: [AVT] Re: Last Call: 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony ones and T elephony Signals' to Proposed Standard

Sorry to cause you alarm, but mentioning the other documents by name in
the base specification would nullify the reason for splitting the
document in the first place. The whole point was to allow requests for
new event code points to stand on their own merits while preserving
backward compatibility to the extent to which 2833 seems to have been
implemented. We dropped the whole set of telephone line signalling
events, for instance, because no one spoke up for them. Nevertheless, if
someone sees a need for them in the future, they are free to introduce a
new draft.

As I think about it, it might be possible to add something in the
abstract, which talks about changes from RFC 2833.

As for the current status of 2833biscas: I gave it lower priority
because I was unaware of any reference to these code points outside of
some PacketCable documentation. The missing piece of work is a careful
review of congestion implications. Otherwise, there has been no comment
on this document for nearly a year. Given your document dependency, I'd
better finish my piece of the work and ask for WGLC.