Re: [Ietf-behave] TURN Issue #4: TLS TURN requests

Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com> Tue, 20 December 2005 17:44 UTC

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:44:05 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ietf-behave] TURN Issue #4: TLS TURN requests

Right, that was my understanding.

The main point, however, is that the feature here under discussion (TURN
Allocate over TLS) would make sense in conjunction with the UDP
conversion, in which case there is no need for TCP signaling in the SDP
itself.

Since there appears to be consensus for the UDP-to-TCP conversion thing,
and since running over TLS is going to be made generic in the stun
revision, this capability would come along for the ride, so I'll move
forward with that.

-Jonathan R.

Magnus Westerlund wrote:

Cullen Jennings wrote:

Interesting - given that draft-ietf-avt-rtp-framing-contrans  and
draft-ietf-mmusic-comedia-tls both seem to be proceeding, I'm
surprised to
hear this. I would not be surprised to see more interest in RTP over TLS.

However neither of these drafts defines the procedure for
TCP/TLS/RTP/AVP, etc. The comedia TLS author was willing to have it in
his draft-ietf-mmusic-comedia-tls, however no one volunteered to write
the text. Thus it got cut out of that draft. No one has so far started
an separate draft. So unless a volunteer steps forward in AVT this
milestone and charter item will be removed.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx
--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711