[Bier] Deborah Brungard's Block on charter-ietf-bier-01-06: (with BLOCK)

Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com> Thu, 22 February 2018 01:08 UTC

From: Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: bier-chairs@ietf.org, bier@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:08:32 -0800
Subject: [Bier] Deborah Brungard's Block on charter-ietf-bier-01-06: (with BLOCK)

Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-bier-01-06: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-bier/

BLOCK:

While a Discuss, this should be simple to address as I think it's a bit of a misnomer
which Alvaro has already noted.
About:
"8) BIER Traffic Engineering: Definition of an architecture, and
   specification of the associated technology, for a BIER-based
   mechanism to support traffic engineering."

Looking at the wg draft (which it seems this new charter item is based on),
the draft says:
"It does support traffic engineering by explicit hop-by-hop forwarding"
and "it is more similar to SR than RSVP-TE".

So it is not TE, it is explicit forwarding. As Alvaro noted, this should not
be identified in the charter as TE. I don't see any need for this new item to
be in the charter (as Alvaro noted).

This is a Discuss because if this is not a simple misnomer, then this work
clashes with TEAS. TEAS is chartered and responsible for "Traffic-engineering
architectures for generic applicability across packet and non-packet networks.
This includes both networks that include the use of PCE and those that do not."