Re: [bmwg] draft-lencse-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful

Edwin Cordeiro <edwin@scordeiro.net> Wed, 26 May 2021 10:57 UTC

From: Edwin Cordeiro <edwin@scordeiro.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 12:56:59 +0200
To: Gábor LENCSE <lencse@hit.bme.hu>
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [bmwg] draft-lencse-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful

I understand that previous testing recommended using UDP instead of TCP and
it was not my intent to say we need to replace UDP with TCP.

But we have to consider if the goal of the new testing is just to have
metrics to compare the transition techniques or do we want to also evaluate
their scalability.

As I believe we also want to test the scalability, specially on the
comparison between stateless versus stateful alternatives, testing with TCP
seems necessary. To test scalability, we need to consider scenarios that
are closer to the real usage of such techniques. Therefore I'm not
suggesting we scrap UDP tests, but that we should add some TCP based tests
to cover such scenarios.

When testing for scalability with TCP, we would target answering things
like:
- Does the transition technique affect how fast the congestion window grows?
- Does it affect encryption protocols?
- Is it impacted by out of order or lost packets?

Best regards,

Edwin Cordeiro