RE: [Bridge-mib] VlanID and VlanIDOrAny

"Les Bell" <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com> Mon, 08 September 2003 13:54 UTC

From: Les Bell <Les_Bell@eur.3com.com>
To: bridge-mib@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:03:59 +0100
Subject: RE: [Bridge-mib] VlanID and VlanIDOrAny
Sender: bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org

I agree with Andrew on this.  You should define the semantics of the TC more
explicitly, otherwise there seems no value in defining it at all.  One concern I
have here is that VlanIdOrZero, as defined below, could be misused in place of
the VlanIdOrAny.

I can see a possible need for a VlanIdOrNone TC defining the value 0 as
indicating that no VLAN is used; or for the VlanIdOrPriorityOnly, as Andrew
mentions below.  In either of these cases I would accept the value 0 indicating
'No VLAN' or 'Priority Tagged Frame', respectively, as long as it is explicitly
defined as such in the TC.

Les...

"Andrew Smith" <ah_smith@acm.org>@ietf.org on 07/09/2003 21:39:45

Sent by:  bridge-mib-admin@ietf.org