Re: [C430] AUTH48 [JM]: RFC 9002 <draft-ietf-quic-recovery-34.txt> NOW AVAILABLE

rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org Thu, 29 April 2021 18:19 UTC

To: jri.ietf@gmail.com, ianswett@google.com
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, lars@eggert.org, lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com, matt.joras@gmail.com, martin.h.duke@gmail.com, Zaheduzzaman.Sarker@ericsson.com, lars@eggert.org, c430@rfc-editor.org
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 11:19:32 -0700
Subject: Re: [C430] AUTH48 [JM]: RFC 9002 <draft-ietf-quic-recovery-34.txt> NOW AVAILABLE

Authors,

While reviewing this document during AUTH48, please resolve
(as necessary) the following questions, which are also in the XML file.

1) <!-- [rfced] Please insert any keywords (beyond those that appear in
the title) for use on https://www.rfc-editor.org/search.
-->

2) <!-- [rfced]  We have updated the cross reference to point to RFC 6298
("Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer") instead of RFC 6297 ("A Survey of
Lower-than-Best-Effort Transport Protocols"). Please let us know if
other changes are necessary.

Original:
   QUIC uses a probe timeout (PTO; see Section 6.2), with a timer based
   on TCP's RTO computation; see [RFC6297].

Current:
   QUIC uses a probe timeout (PTO; see Section 6.2), with a timer based
   on TCP's retransmission timeout (RTO) computation; see [RFC6298].
-->

3) <!-- [rfced] Does the following improve the readability of the paragraph?

Current:
   Endpoints SHOULD set the min_rtt to the newest RTT sample after
   persistent congestion is established. This is to allow a connection
   to reset its estimate of min_rtt and smoothed_rtt after a
   disruptive network event (Section 5.3), and because it is possible
   that an increase in path delay resulted in persistent congestion
   being incorrectly declared.

Perhaps:
   Endpoints SHOULD set the min_rtt to the newest RTT sample after
   persistent congestion is established because it is possible that
   an increase in path delay resulted in persistent congestion being
   incorrectly declared. This also allows a connection to reset its
   estimate of min_rtt and smoothed_rtt after a disruptive network
   event (Section 5.3).
-->

4) <!-- [rfced]  In the following sentence, do implementations also
increase the time threshold?

Current:
    Implementations can detect spurious retransmissions and increase
    the reordering threshold in packets or time to reduce future
    spurious retransmissions and loss events.

Perhaps:
    Implementations can detect spurious retransmissions and can increase
    the reordering threshold in packets or increase the time threshold
    in order to reduce future spurious retransmissions and loss events.
-->

5) <!-- [rfced] Note that we have marked this Note as an <aside>.
<aside> is defined as follows:

>From https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfc-doc.html#name-aside-2
   This element is a container for content that is semantically
   less important or tangential to the content that surrounds it.

Please let us know if any updates are needed.
-->

6) <!-- [rfced] Throughout the text, the following term appears to be used
inconsistently. Please review these occurrences and let us know if/how they
may be made consistent.

application data / Application Data

Note that RFC-to-be 9000 <draft-ietf-quic-transport> uses the lowercase
form consistently.

We raised a similar question for RFC-to-be 9001; the authors decided on the following:

> The outcome is that figures will use title case for consistency (as appropriate)
> and text will use the  lowercase form.  There is one reference to TLS
> Application Data, where I have kept the title case to match the usage in RFC 8446.

(see https://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/c430/2021-April/000016.html)

-->

7) <!-- [rfced]  We are having difficulty parsing the following sentence.
Could the packets be acknowledged if the keys were still available?

Current:
   Initial packets and Handshake packets could be never acknowledged,
   but they are removed from bytes in flight when the Initial and
   Handshake keys are discarded

Perhaps:
   When the Initial and Handshake keys are discarded, the Initial
   packets and Handshake packets can no longer be acknowledged, and
   they are removed from bytes in flight
-->

8) <!-- [rfced]  In the following, is "PTO timer" rather than "probe timer"
meant?

Current:
   That is, the client MUST set the probe timer if the client has not
   received an acknowledgment for any of its Handshake packets and the
   handshake is not confirmed (see Section 4.1.2 of [QUIC-TLS]), even
   if there are no packets in flight.
-->

9) <!-- [rfced] We are having difficulty parsing the following:

Current:
   It is expected that keys are discarded after packets encrypted with
   them would be acknowledged or declared lost.

Perhaps:
   It is expected that keys are discarded at some time after the
   packets encrypted with them are either acknowledged or declared lost.

Or perhaps:
   Some time after the packets are either acknowledged or declared lost,
   the keys with which they were encrypted are discarded.
-->

10) <!-- [rfced]  We note that RFC 9000 (draft-ietf-quic-transport) uses
<tt> for some equations.  Please review and let us know if you would like
the equations to appear in <tt>.

Current:
   Packets 2 through 8 are declared lost when the acknowledgment for
   packet 9 is received at t = 12.2.

   The congestion period is calculated as the time between the oldest
   and newest lost packets: 8 - 1 = 7.  The persistent congestion
   duration is: 2 * 3 = 6.
-->

11) <!-- [rfced] Does the following reordering of the sentences improve
readability?

Current:
   When bytes in flight is smaller than the congestion window and
   sending is not pacing limited, the congestion window is
   underutilized.  When this occurs, the congestion window SHOULD NOT be
   increased in either slow start or congestion avoidance.  This can
   happen due to insufficient application data or flow control limits.

Perhaps:
   When the count of bytes in flight is smaller than the congestion
   window and sending is not pacing limited, the congestion window is
   underutilized, which can happen due to insufficient application
   data or reduced flow control limits.  When this occurs in either the
   slow start or congestion avoidance states, the congestion window
   SHOULD NOT be increased.
-->

12) <!-- [rfced] We did not find the paper below published in January 1995.
We did find one published in 1987 and a revision published in 1991.
Which one should be referenced?

Original:
   [RETRANSMISSION]
              Karn, P. and C. Partridge, "Improving Round-Trip Time
              Estimates in Reliable Transport Protocols", ACM SIGCOMM
              CCR , January 1995.

Perhaps:
   [RETRANSMISSION]
              Karn, P. and C. Partridge, "Improving Round-Trip Time
              Estimates in Reliable Transport Protocols", ACM SIGCOMM
              Computer Communication Review, DOI 10.1145/55483.55484,
              August 1987, <https://doi.org/10.1145/55483.55484>.

Or perhaps:
   [RETRANSMISSION]
              Karn, P. and C. Partridge, "Improving Round-Trip Time
              Estimates in Reliable Transport Protocols", ACM Transactions
              on Computer Systems, DOI 10.1145/118544.118549,
              November 1991, <https://doi.org/10.1145/118544.118549>.
-->

Thank you.

RFC Editor

On Apr 29, 2021, at 11:14 AM, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org wrote:

*****IMPORTANT*****

Updated 2021/04/29

RFC Author(s):
--------------

Instructions for Completing AUTH48

Your document has now entered AUTH48.  Once it has been reviewed and
approved by you and all coauthors, it will be published as an RFC.
If an author is no longer available, there are several remedies
available as listed in the FAQ (https://www.rfc-editor.org/faq/).

You and you coauthors are responsible for engaging other parties
(e.g., Contributors or Working Group) as necessary before providing
your approval.

Planning your review
---------------------

Please review the following aspects of your document:

*  RFC Editor questions

  Please review and resolve any questions raised by the RFC Editor
  that have been included in the XML file as comments marked as
  follows:

  <!-- [rfced] ... -->

  These questions will also be sent in a subsequent email.

*  Changes submitted by coauthors

  Please ensure that you review any changes submitted by your
  coauthors.  We assume that if you do not speak up that you
  agree to changes submitted by your coauthors.

*  Content

  Please review the full content of the document, as this cannot
  change once the RFC is published. Please pay particular attention to:
  - IANA considerations updates (if applicable)
  - contact information