[Ietf-calsify] Timezone registration

MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) Fri, 12 August 2005 16:00 UTC

From: "MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU"
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:20 +0000
Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Timezone registration

Suggestion:

Consider the registry not of timezone, but of daylight savings time rules.

Thus, instead of my local time zone being "US Pacific time", it would be
-0800 with the "US/1987" daylight savings time rule (soon to be replaced
with the "US/2007" rule).

There can also be some syntax (but not a registered rule!) that indicates
"contemporary rule for that time".  In other words, something like "-0800
US" would mean something different in 1986 than today, and in turn it
would mean something different in 2007.

It needs to be emphasize the latter is not a registered rule, but rather a
shorthand for a registered rule, and which generally can not be relied
upon (hence you should use a registered rule such as -0800 US/1987").

Excuse me if this sort of this has already been considered and rejected.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.