[Ietf-carddav] Re: [Ietf-caldav] Off topic: CardDAV

Mark Paterson <mark.paterson@oracle.com> Tue, 25 October 2005 18:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:50:24 -0400
From: Mark Paterson <mark.paterson@oracle.com>
To: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Cc: Bernard Desruisseaux <BERNARD.DESRUISSEAUX@oracle.com>, CardDAV DevList <ietf-carddav@osafoundation.org>
Subject: [Ietf-carddav] Re: [Ietf-caldav] Off topic: CardDAV

Hi Cyrus,

I've had a chance to take a closer look. I suspect that much of this
could be done using SyncML or some of the other standards you listed but
it you are building a client that uses CalDAV I can see how this would
be an obvious nice match. When's TaskDAV and MailDAV coming? (and I say
that only half jokingly, if you have a client making extensive use of a
WebDAV based implementation I can certainly see the ease at which a
developer aught to be able to make use of it for all).

My main comment for CardDAV is that if it is going to work well then an
RFC2426bis needs to be put into the works. If you ask people
implementing OMA DS based solutions, they might tell you that vCard
might also be considered a disadvantage (your draft lists it as an
advantage). It's advantage is its obvious wide spread use but once you
start working with it you soon wish the spec had a little bit more to it :-)

Here are some more specific comments on the draft...
.
- To modify a contact the client has to do a PUT and provide the full
vCard if I understand correctly.
--- It would be nice if you could only send the changes? vCard doesn't
really provide a way of specifying this.
--- What if a contact previously had 3 home phone numbers and now there
are only two? Was the first one deleted? the second? the third? There is
no true way of knowing since vcard does not suport a way of enumerating
you types (i.e. you can't specify this is home1 and this is home2, etc...)
--- Is is realistc to expect backend stores to support the endless
combinations vCard can allow? vCard is very good in allowing endless
combinations (I can specify my home submarine fax number if I wanted to)
and this flexibility is nice but most back end adress book stores have
something a little more fixed. It would be nice if there was some form
of recommended practices or profile.
- adbk-query will be very useful but how would I search for all my
contacts with a phone number that contains the area code 514? vCard does
not attempt to specify a format for phone numbers so it is a bit of a
free for all.
- The adbk-sync report is a nice addition. A concept that needs to find
its way into CalDAV eventually.
- There is no way of knowing what fields have changed within a contact
that is reported as changed by the abk-sync report. This would be useful
for doing merges rather than having to l;et the client or server win the
sync conflict.
- adrbk-sync is really more of a changes report. A sync report would
allow the caller to provide the server with the client's changes, the
server would then reconcile these changes versus the changes on the
server side and then only send back instructions that the client needs
to follow to be in sync with the server. One HTTP request and it is
done. With the changes style as defined the client asks for the changes,
compares against it's own and does the reconcilliation, and then will
have to do a  series of PUTs to get the server in sync. This means
several HTTP requests.

If you are interested you might want to look at the Employee Profile
Service Specification and the Personal Profile Service Specification
created by the Liberty Alliance. They decided vCard just had too many
problems for their purposes so they invented something brand new. They
are really quite nice but due to the vast use of vCard it would have
been nice if some effort had been put into updating vCard.

Thanks,
Mark