Re: OSPF ASON Routing Solution

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Fri, 28 July 2006 22:24 UTC

To: Igor Bryskin <ibryskin@movaz.com>
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: OSPF ASON Routing Solution
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:34:19 +0200
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

hi igor - see in-line

"Igor Bryskin" <ibryskin@movaz.com>
28/07/2006 16:36

        To:     Dimitri PAPADIMITRIOU/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
        cc:     <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>, "Adrian Farrel"
<adrian@olddog.co.uk>

Dimitri,

I have a couple of questions. My understanding is that your draft now
allows
for 1:N relationship between a routing controller (OSPF speaker) and data
switch(es) managed by the routing controller. However, I am unclear on
what
to be done with the Router_Address TLV? What is the relationship between
Router Address advertised in this TLV and local TE Router identifier(s)
advertised,say,  in type 17 Te Link Sub-TLV(s) introduced in 5.1 of the
draft? When we considered only 1:1 relationship between routing controller
and data switch, we always considered TE Router ID = Router Address. Is it
still the case? If not, do you believe that Router_Address TLV is still
necessary and for what purposes? Should it be modified to mandate
advertising all TE Router IDs that appear as local TE Router IDs in
locally
generated TE Link TLVs? Or may be you believe that Router Address is
simply
a local routable IP address and does not have to match any of local TE
Router IDs?

[dp] in principle, the last alternative (a router_address TLV will be then
associated and fulfill the function of RFC 3630); i am going to
incorporate
this in the next rev. to elevate any potential issue

[dp] please remember that the RC doesn't control "data switches" but "a
set
of logical control plane entity that is associated to a single data plane
(abstract) node" - cf. eval doc.

Furthermore, do you consider N:1 (more than one routing controllers
managing
the same data switch, e.g. a controller per layer or region) or/and M:N (
one controller managing several data switches within one layer of
multi-layer devices) relationships? Do you believe associating multiple
controllers (i.e. advertising Router IDs) with the same TE Router ID
causes
no problem ?

[dp] per eval doc "The relationship between Ri and Li is simple at any
moment
in time: an Li may be advertised by only one Ri at any time." hence, you
may have multiple Ri but each would advertize an non-overlapping set

Thanks,
Igor