Re: OSPF ASON Routing Solution

"Igor Bryskin" <ibryskin@movaz.com> Fri, 21 July 2006 15:18 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <ibryskin@movaz.com>
To: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
Cc: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: OSPF ASON Routing Solution
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:01:30 -0400
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

See  in-line.
Igor

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be>
To: "Igor Bryskin" <ibryskin@movaz.com>
Cc: "Acee Lindem" <acee@cisco.com>; "Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>;
<ccamp@ops.ietf.org>; <owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 10:36 AM

> igor -
>

> i don't think that someone claimed that OSPF-TE is a superset of OSPF or
> whatsover the former (as other applications) just build on existing OSPF
> RFCs (and mechanisms)
>
> note that RFC 2370 states "The information contained in Opaque LSAs may be
> used directly by OSPF

IB>> I aggree that IFF OSPF uses Opaque LSAs for its *own* purposes, that
whatever comes out of such use *is* an extension to OSPF

 or indirectly by some application
> wishing to distribute information throughout the OSPF domain."

IB>> And I claim that such application is not an extension to OSPF, rather,
it is exactly what is stated above - an application using OSPF opaque LSAs

reason why
> GR, Router capabilities and TE like applications can make use of opaque
> LSAs (that you restrict to TE only btw); hence your assertion "RFC2370
> does not provide a way for extending OSPF" is not correct
>
> this said your digression falls imho outside the scope of the present poll
> (if you want to re-discuss GMPLS/OSPF-TE vs OSPF i suggest you start from
> the beginning not from the middle and probably direct your concern at the
> owning WG)

I disagree with that. I have joined this discussion when Adrian asked Acee
whether he as a chair of OSPF WG had any objections wrt ASON OSPF document,
and my point is why OSPF WG should care about this solution one way or the
other.

Igor