Re: draft-ietf-ccamp-tracereq

Xiaoming Fu <fu@cs.uni-goettingen.de> Wed, 04 June 2003 10:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:11:54 +0200
From: Xiaoming Fu <fu@cs.uni-goettingen.de>
To: Ron Bonica <Ronald.P.Bonica@mci.com>
CC: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ccamp-tracereq

Ron,

Thanks for your new version. One more issue:

Current available transport mechanisms for traceroute include ICMP, UDP,
and TCP. UDP may relief DoS issues, but NAT/firewall might be another
issue (although we could have STUN). TCP has an issue of connection
setup latency, however it could be potentially considered (it may also
have a number of available ports?). To my knowledge, circulations from
one protocol to protocol are sometimes helpful, for example, SIP
initially used UDP, while TCP was recently proposed.

Hence, I would suggest a "SHOULD" instead of "MUST" in Section 4.2.

Cheers,
Xiaoming