Re: MPLS OAM & the IETF

Matt Squire <mattsquire@acm.org> Sun, 10 March 2002 14:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:01:28 -0500
From: Matt Squire <mattsquire@acm.org>
To: Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
CC: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: MPLS OAM & the IETF

A vote for (1).  The IETF should focus on the simple and ip-oriented
utilities and get the darn thing done.  The ITU should focus on the more
generic MPLS utilities which need to get done but is a larger problem.

Certainly this might lead to interoperability problems, but I hope the
ITU will submit drafts to the IETF mailing lists for review.  Drawing on
the expertise of the IETF can help minimize the problems.  There are
also many testing labs and bakeoffs where problems can get found.  Every
extension has the possibility of creating interoperability problems yet
they seem to keep coming, so lets split it up and be done with it.

- Matt