RE: MPLS OAM & the IETF

Raj Sharma <raj@luminous.com> Thu, 07 March 2002 23:30 UTC

From: Raj Sharma <raj@luminous.com>
To: 'Scott Bradner' <sob@harvard.edu>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: MPLS OAM & the IETF
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:30:54 -0800

2a

ml (IETF folk
have to register to use the FTP site.)

It seems to me that there are two options on what we (the IETF) could do at
this point.

0/ you think I do not understand the issue

1/ split the tasks:  The IETF focus on the ping/traceroute mechanisms and
cede to the ITU-T work on the more telco-like OAM.  In this option the IETF
would publish draft-ohta-mpls-label-value-01.txt as an RFC and assign an
MPLS reserved label value for use by the ITU-T to identify Y.1711
information.

2/ The IETF work on a suite of technologies ranging from the
ping/traceroute-like mechanisms to the more telephone system OAM ones.  The
IETF could try to figure out how to do this in conjunction with the ITU,
though it is a bit late for that considering the state of Y.1711, or be in
competition with the ITU-T.

So - please indicate your opinion on how the IETF should proceed

1 - split the tasks between the IETF and the ITU-T
2 - IETF produce standards track documents covering both areas
  2a - trying to work with the ITU-T to produce common technology
  2b - in competition with the ITU-T

In any case, it would be good to provide feedback to the ITU-T on Y.1711 if
you see anything that looks broken.

Scott (with sub-ip AD hat on)