RE: WG Consensus Call: draft-swallow-gmpls-overlay-00.txt

"Lin, Zhi-Wei (Zhi)" <zwlin@lucent.com> Fri, 06 December 2002 16:05 UTC

From: "Lin, Zhi-Wei (Zhi)" <zwlin@lucent.com>
To: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, "Lin, Zhi-Wei (Zhi)" <zwlin@lucent.com>
Cc: ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: WG Consensus Call: draft-swallow-gmpls-overlay-00.txt
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:05:45 -0500

Hi Kireeti,

In terms of overlay and "call vs. connection", they are very much related. An overlay is simply a way to keep information from going from one network to another network. The "call" concept embodies that, but at the same time also adds a service concept to the signaling, as per what operators have requested. (People have concentrated on comparing overlay to UNI; I guess we have to remember that there is also the work on E-NNI). In terms of understanding the call concept, if you're familiar with the SS7 or ATM signaling, then call concept should be very familiar to you as well (it's been part of the telecom network for a long time). I'm not sure whether a clarification for this is needed, since we're all in the telecom industry and many of us have worked with either SS7 or ATM related signaling protocols before. Is this a bad assumption to make?

In terms of "IETF pursue its own standards track documents", of course this decision is up to us as IETF members to decide whether to create a standard for the overlay. However, we should concentrate on what makes the most sense for the industry. A side-note considering the relevance of the GMPLS work is that ITU is not talking about the IP network, but the transport network using this...

Related to your question about standards track vs. informational, the document was planned for standards track. However, as the request from ITU specifically says that there is a time constraint of Jan. '03, and as the standards track takes longer than what was required by the ITU-T, it was changed to informational. Kireeti you were kept in the loop during this process so should have been aware of this.

For a position, I think the overlay issue has been resolved (and includes an additional component of supporting the service concept -- albeit all done in a different standards body) so should not need to be repeated here. But if IETF wants to repeat it and specify something different, than that can always be done based on the consensus of the body (regardless of whether it helps or hurts the industry)...

Zhi