Re: WG Consensus Call: draft-swallow-gmpls-overlay-00.txt

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Tue, 03 December 2002 22:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:21:38 +0100
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
To: "Lin, Zhi-Wei (Zhi)" <zwlin@lucent.com>
Cc: Ashok Narayanan <ashokn@cisco.com>, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: WG Consensus Call: draft-swallow-gmpls-overlay-00.txt

in order for the ccamp wg to have a clear understanding
a clarification is needed here, the code-point extension
document which had been submitted for ason purposes had
been discussed during the yokohama meeting, the consensus
was to put it back and then first come with a requirement
document (i refer here to the yokohama meeting discussions)
which is a good idea in order for the ietf ccamp wg to have
a decoder ring concerning the ason application needs... and
then start to think about extensions...

... but as far as i understand it the needs from the itu-t
were so urgent they couldn't wait about a ccamp community
discussion on the relevance of these proposed extensions,
and so went the decision (don't ask me who is behind this?)
to push it as an individual submission in order to accelerate
the process of receivng the code-points

... it is sometime good to remember how things happened, but
in any case, the conclusion is that within the "overlay class
of application" we have now clearly one solution when both
side (the edge and the core node) have a lower trust relationship
(one can refer to it as public uni) and one solution when
they have a higher trust relationship (one can refer it as
private uni), each of them have different applicability scope.

ps: i should also mention that the user community needs for
public switched connections using the oif public uni is
afaik somehow low and doesn't in any case preclude the
definition of another solution

thanks,
- dimitri.

--