Re: [CCAMP] convergence time for flooding information draft submitted: draft-zhangm-ccamp-metric-00

Weiqiang Sun <sunwq@MIT.EDU> Tue, 09 November 2010 02:28 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:28:14 +0800
From: Weiqiang Sun <sunwq@MIT.EDU>
To: hui ding <dinghui.ei@gmail.com>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] convergence time for flooding information draft submitted: draft-zhangm-ccamp-metric-00

Folks,

The draft is good to start with, but still many issues to fix... Below is
few comments that come up to my mind during first read. I will post again in
case I have more comments.

A few editorial comments:
1. nodes or links failures MAY ... -> node or link failures may...
The use of standard languages (MAY, MUST, SHOULD/NOTŠ) is only necessary
when you define/specify a protocol behavior (an implementation SHOULD or
SHOULD NOT do something, for example). In another word, they are used to
regulate implementation behaviors. They are not intended to replace all use
of ``may'', ``should'' or ``must''.
2. After network updating..., because it MAY -> After network upgrading...
because it may
3. section 3: convergence ability -> convergence performance

Technical comments:
1. The convergence time is dependent on network size and topology. Should
these factors be taken into account when you do a measurement? Should these
factor be reported at least together with the metric value themselves?

2. In 4.1.2, you said that "All control node in this domain switch on
normally"
   1) What do you mean by normally? From a methodology point of view it is
not clear enough. Should all control nodes be switched on simultaneously or
they can be switched on one by one?
   2) Should the data plane be switched on as well?

3. The way of reporting the metric is not clearly defined. Reporting the
metric value itself is clearly not enough, given that this value is
dependent on and may be affected by many factors. You may need a separate
(sub-)section to define what parameters should be reported, along side the
metric value itself.

4. You have an incomplete section 6. To me, it is not wise to require any
changes to existing protocols (OSPF-TE or RSVP-TE), as this will make this
work difficult (if not impossible) to progress. I would recommend an
out-of-band measurement.

Best regards,
Weiqiang