RE: Optical Link Interface

"Osama Aboul-Magd" <osama@nortelnetworks.com> Wed, 25 July 2001 17:21 UTC

From: Osama Aboul-Magd <osama@nortelnetworks.com>
To: Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net>, Andre Fredette <fredette@photonex.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Optical Link Interface
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:21:00 -0400

From: 	Jonathan Lang [mailto:jplang@calient.net]
Sent:	Wednesday, July 25, 2001 11:53 AM
To:	Aboul-Magd, Osama [CAR:1A00:EXCH]; Andre Fredette;
Subject:	RE: Optical Link Interface

Thanks,
Jonathan

IETF is irrelevant.
> - NTIP is a new TCP application in the same way as LMP-WDM is a NEW
application for LMP.
I'm glad you brought this up.  TCP greatly complicates the fault recovery
procedure and fault recovery is an essential aspect for this interface.

	[Osama] I am not sure I follow.

> - The issue is not really LMP vs TCP. NTIP and LMP-WDM differ in the model
itself. Your
> choice to use LMP to run LMP-WDM on top of it forced you to treat the PXC
and LS as peers.
> NTIP treats PXC-LS relationship as master-slave. Non peer relationship
suits this
> interface better.
I understand this limitation works for your product, but other WDM vendors
have requested a more flexible model.

	[Osama] what is the limitation here? Are you saying having a simple
design is a limitation? Not everything has to be complex.

> - To link with other standards bodies, as far as I know T1X1, where the
optical knowledge
> exists, is yet to arrive to a definition of this interface. More
contributions are
> solicited to better understand its need and applications. Given that, I'd
like to
> understand the rationale for the "rough consensus" reached at CCAMP
mailing list. Only 4-5
> messages were posted to the mailing list and mostly from authors of the
OLI requirements
> draft.
> - I don't see harm in having two protocols. The market made its decisions
on the examples > you mentioned, and I am sure it will happen again in this
case.
Given the CR-LDP fiasco in MPLS, it was clearly stated by the ADs and
Working Group chairs in Minnesota that only one protocol will progress in
the IETF.

[Osama] I don't understand why CR-LDP and RSVP-TE have been brought to this
discussion. This is a completely different situation. LMP hasn't seen the
wide deployment that RSVP-TE has. The example is inadequate.