Re: [CCAMP] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk-05: (with COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Tue, 11 August 2015 09:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:56:26 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk.ad@ietf.org, ccamp-chairs@ietf.org, ccamp@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk.shepherd@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-ccamp-flexi-grid-fwk-05: (with COMMENT)

A bit more on this...

Adrian and I chatted on jabber yesterday and figured out the
disconnect here. I was interpreting this draft as the start of
some big new chunk of work in routing and hence bemoaning the
lack of a new security/privacy analysis. Adrian tells me though
that in fact the new work resulting in the IETF will consist
of a number of relatively minor extensions to existing protocols,
in which case the approach taken in the draft of asserting that
there's nothing much new here can be ok.

Perhaps I got somewhat taken in by some more marketing language
in the draft or something:-)

Anyway, I had another quick flick through the draft and the
following may have caused me to misinterpret what was going on:

- title: this reads like the start of a big new thing to me
- abstract:
  "This document defines a framework and the associated control plane
   requirements for the GMPLS-based control of flexi-grid DWDM
   networks."
  That tells me a whole new big chunk of work needs to be done
  which would require IMO a frech security/privacy analysis which
  was not done.
- intro, last para: same as the last point
- section 4 intro:
  "This framework is aimed at
   controlling the media layer within the OTN hierarchy, and controlling
   the required adaptations of the signal layer.  This document also
   defines the term Spectrum-Switched Optical Network (SSON) to refer to
   a Flexi-grid enabled DWDM network that is controlled by a GMPLS/PCE
   control plane."think
  Again that reads like there's a large new chunk of work to be done
  here, if "this framework" is a new thing and not an existing thing,
  which is unclear now I re-read it.
- 4.8.4: that still reads to me like a big new chunk of work, but I'm
  told it's less of a deal.

In summary, if this draft is the start of a big new chunk of work in
the IETF, then my comment stands - it should have had a serious chunk
of security/privacy analysis and I don't see evidence that it did.

If however I've misinterpreted the draft and it's really just teeing
up a set of relatively minor extensions to existing protocols, then
the "assertion that there's nothing new" approach taken here can in
some cases be justified, and if this is the situation then I can see
how my comment would be seen as over the top.

Cheers,
S.