Re: [CCAMP] Working group lastcall:draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-08

"Evelyne Roch" <eroch@nortel.com> Fri, 04 December 2009 17:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:10:56 -0500
From: Evelyne Roch <eroch@nortel.com>
To: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS)" <db3546@att.com>
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Working group lastcall:draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-08

According to RFC4974:
"In certain networking topologies, it may be advantageous to maintain
   associations between endpoints and key transit points to support an
   instance of a service.  Such associations are known as Calls."

In draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-08, section 4.2:
"To support a VCG with multiple co-signaled VCG members sets requires
   being able to identify separate control plane LSPs with a single VCG
   and exchange information pertaining to the VCG as a whole. This is
   very similar to the "Call" concept described in [RFC4974].
   We can think of our VCAT/LCAS connection, e.g., our VCG, as a higher
layer
   service that makes use of multiple lower layer (server) connections
   that are controlled by one or more control plane LSPs.  "

I would make a stronger statement and say that the VCG is an association
between VCAT endpoints to support VCAT services and the VCG is a call:
- There is an association between the VCAT endpoints and that is a VCAT
call.
- There is also an association between the member endpoints and that is
the member call.

I have big problems with section 4.2.1 bullet 4 stating that the VCG
identifier can be used to identify a particular VCG separately from the
call ID so that call members can be reused.

Based on section 4.2.1 bullet 4 (and text 4.4), the call that is
signaled in the draft is NOT a VCAT call but rather a member call (which
may contain multiple members). The members are "added/removed" from the
VCG using the Notify message. But the Notify message is ALSO used to
signal the VCG as it contains the number of members, whether LCAS is
required and the VCG ID. That is why I state that this not provide a
clean separation of VCAT control from member control.

Looking at it from a management's perspective, how does one manage its
VCAT service? Normally, one would expect a VCAT service to be associated
with a VCAT call and be identified by its call id. In the draft, that is
not possible as there is no VCAT call ID. The only way to identify the
call is by the combination of the VCG ID and session.

Evelyne