Re: Polling for new WG I-Ds

Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be Wed, 23 August 2006 08:42 UTC

To: Dan Li <danli@huawei.com>
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Polling for new WG I-Ds
From: Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:33:10 +0200
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

21/08/2006 04:01

        To:     Dimitri PAPADIMITRIOU/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL, Adrian Farrel

From: <Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel.be>
To: "Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>; <owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:32 AM

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernstein-ccamp-gmpls-vcat-lcas-04.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs-02.txt

> - guess it is v03.txt ? -
>
> > has been updated since the version discussed in Montreal.
>
> i am ok in investigating the MP->CP but i have two concerns that imho
> should deserve more specific attention to maintain consistency wrt to
> CP->MP
>
> section 2.2: if control is lost for an LSP (during CP failure) how can
it
> be possible transfer that LSP from the CP -> MP ?

[dan] Yes, there is a problem if we still want to use the control plane to
do the
CP->MP transfer. Unless the transfer is based on the predetermined policy,
MP
takes the control of the LSP resource directly (no signaling required),
but this way
should not be discussed in CCAMP.

[dp] ok so what's left for this doc ? concerning the MP-driven failover -
imho nothing

> section 4.4: why the document assumes that both MUST be supported ? in
> part. concerning the CP->MP if one does implement current GMPLS
signaling
> restart/recovery why shall this be mandated ? in brief, the document
shall
> take into account existing mechanisms and prevent overlaps (with
existing
> GMPLS mechanisms)

[dan] I think the CP->MP should not be the mandatory requirement.

[dp] this is what i thought

> hence, it is strongly suggested to identify conditions when such CP->MP
is
> required (and not an alternative to existing CP mechanisms) b/f
> progressing that part

[dan] In order to make the carriers' life easy, when we provide the MP->CP
conversion feature, the reverse procedure (CP->MP) may also is needed just
simply in case the carriers want to withdraw their previous decision, and
they also feel more comfortable with this "undo" function; In order to
achieve
this, we should have the working control plane.

[dp] concerning CP->MP input you provided would be helpful to have
carrier's
speaking for themselves - now there is indeed a side question shall CCAMP
take
care about operators that want to step back from GMPLS or more generally
any
control plane technology (usually concern is how to move forward not
backward)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ali-ccamp-mpls-graceful-shutdown-04.txt