RE: IESG comments on generalize MPLS documents

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Mon, 26 August 2002 21:15 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@movaz.com>
Cc: "Ccamp-wg (E-mail)" <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: RE: IESG comments on generalize MPLS documents
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:15:32 +0200

Thank you... some comments inline

Will check when I see the text

> >some less serious, but now that you are at it anyway...
> >
> >7. Intro lists 4 types of interfaces (PSC, TDM, LSC, PSC)
> >    Architecture doc (still and I-D) lists L2SC as well.
> >    Would it not be better if they are in sync?
>
> L2SC is really a sub/special-case of PSC.  Other documents also don't
> explicitly call it out.

The Architecture doc DOES spell it out.
When I read "Architecture" then I always think it is gudining any other
documents in that space.

> >8. sect 3.2.1 and sect 6.1
> >    would it make sense to change
> >        Label: Variable
> >    into something like
> >        Label: Variable number of bit
> >    or
> >        Label: variable length
>
> sure, why not...
>
> >9. Sect 9.1 1st sentence
> >    s/there as an/there is an/
>
> thanks.
>
> >10. Sect 9.2 2nd sentence
> >     s/failure the limits/failure that limits/
>
> thanks.
>
> >12. LSP is not defined before use.
>
> Fixed.
>

> >13. the document could have been 5 pages shorter if it had not
> >     bothered to explain how it is different from "old" MPLS,
> >     and just concentrated on what it was doing.
> >     I guess a ptr to the old MPLS doc would have been sufficient?
>
> I think we should just keep this as is.

So you are asking me to defend that in the IESG.
Not sure how successfull I will be. Up to you to take the risk

> >14. Cannot implement section 9 (interface identification) - the
> >     info on which end's interfaces are being talked about, and
> >     how one end identifies which of its interfaces match
> >     corresponding interfaces at the other end simply doesn't
> >     seem to be there.
> >     (generalized-rsvp-te specifies that the downstream interface
> >      is sent in a PATH message.....this is a matchup, but not sure
> >      which way it matches).
>
> The whole document can only be implemented when combined with
> one of the  protocol specific documents.   I think the 21 responses
> to the implementation survey speaks for itself.  (Also, this
> document does clearly  states: "In all cases the choice of the data
> interface is indicated by the upstream node using addresses and
> identifiers used by the upstream node.")

So maybe adding a note to it to explain that might alleviate the
concern. Of course I can try to defend based on the 21 responses,
that is indeed a strong point. But often adding a one or wto line
explanation helps to fuse the push back

> >15. In the ref section you have:
> >     [RECOVERY] Sharma, et al "A Framework for MPLS-based Recovery,"
> >            draft-ieft-mpls-recovery-frmwrk-02.txt, March, 2001
> >     But it is never referenced!
>
> dropped!
>
> ><draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-cr-ldp-06.txt>
> >
> >1. IANA asks:
> >       Seems OK but which registry should these assignments
> >       be going in.
> >    So please specify.
>
> Took me a second to figure out what was needed here, the
> reference was
> broken (said 3031 not 3036.) With a proper reference, the registry
> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ldp-namespaces) should be clear.

I would strongly recommend to also add that web ptr. It will Help
IANA a lot, and it will just smooth the further processing of the
document. It also helps later readers to quickly find the place
where values are registered.

> >2. [RFC2119] reference is used, but it is not listed in Ref section
>
> okay.

Means that you have added it I assume ;-)

> >3. you have a ref to [MPLS-TE] but it is not listed
> >    in ref section.
>
> broken reference removed, and text fixed.
>

> >4. IANA Considerations starts with:
> >      This draft uses the LDP [RFC 3031] name spaces, which require
> >      assignment for the following TLVs.
> >    Do you mean to reference 3036 instead of 3031?
> >

> yes.  same issue as comment 1.

same as above. pls add the web ptr to the registry

> >5. Since LDP spec (RFC3036) has statement D of sect 10 of rfc2026
> >    in its IPR section, maybe that applies to this spec too?
>
> I'm not aware of such claims with respect to this draft so I
> cannot make  this statement.  Has the IESG been notified of
> such a claim?

I was just asking if you are aware. I am not aware of it. I would
think that you as authors might know better than I cause you work
daily in this space.

> ><draft-ietf-mpls-generalized-rsvp-te-07.txt>
> >
> >1. This doc says "just use IPsec".  A clearer statement is needed,
> >    specifying the necessary IPsec selectors (per RFC 2401) and the
> >    way the cryptographically protected endpoints are related to
> >    the authorization model, i.e., who can do what.
>
> can you provide an example of what you'd like to see?

I am checking with Security ADs.

> >2. I wonder if Sect 5 actually tells us that this doc is "updating
> >    RFC3209"  cause you are "revising" the definitions.
>
> now says "...is being extended..."

Well, that is nice playing with words. I think you understand my
real question. But... since it gets registered by IANA (if I
understand it correctly) I guess this is OK, cause IANA will
register the RFC in the registry so that people can find this.

> >3. Section 4.3 has ref to [RSVP]. That is not in ref section.,
> >    I guess you mean [RFC2205]
>
> yes.

I assume you meaning you updated it.

> >4. In sect 8.1.2 you have a ref to [MPLS-TE] but it is not listed
> >    in ref section.
>
> removed and text updated.  (was a broken reference)
>
> >less serious but since you are at it anyway...
> >
> >5. Once you start reading section 2. how do you know that these
> >    are "RSVP objects" ?? I guess it is implicit.
>
> yes.

Still I wonder if some words are needed... or might make that clearer
for the novice reader.

> >    Although in sect 2.1.2 you talk about "Int-serv objects"
> >    Here you may want to add a reference to the doc that
> >    describes the "Peak Data Rate field of the Int-serv objects"
>
> sure...
>
> >6. Why does LDP need to be mentioned in this doc at all?
>
> removed.
>
> >Bert

Thanks,
Bert