Comments on draft-ietf-charmib-rs232-mib-00.txt

wclark@cisco.com Thu, 03 March 1994 00:14 UTC

To: char-mib@decwrl.dec.com
Cc: snadlcmib@cisco.com
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-charmib-rs232-mib-00.txt
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 1994 15:54:17 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: wclark@cisco.com

We noticed that none of the requests from the SNA DLC MIB working group
were included in the draft-ietf-charmib-rs232-mib-00.txt submission of
a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure why they were ignored since I do believe they are of
general interest.  In fact, I would bet there are more RS-232 serial
lines in the world that run the SDLC protocol and need these objects
than not.

This list of SDLC-induced objects comes from real-world requirements
... most of them were the same serial interface characteristics that
were missing from cisco's original serial drivers and hardware.  In the
earlier years of cisco, we required the end device be changed to meet
the requirements of our serial interface.  This shortcoming cost us
some business and has since been rectified.  (No, Martha, the whole
world is not full-duplex NRZ running HDLC.)

The latest numbers I heard were that there is an estimated 500,000
serial lines out there that run SDLC.  I think they deserve some
attention.

Wayne Clark, Editor of SNA DLC MIB
cisco Systems, Inc.
wclark@cisco.com
415/688-4627

P.S. Numbers (8) and (9) below should be nuked per the discussion on
     char-mib@decwrl.dec.com on January 13, 1994.  However, the rest of
     them apply.

------- Forwarded Messages