A new table

"David L. Arneson (arneson@ctron.com)" <arneson@yeti.ctron.com> Mon, 31 August 1992 13:19 UTC

To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: A new table
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 09:18:41 -0400
From: "David L. Arneson (arneson@ctron.com)" <arneson@yeti.ctron.com>

Part of the problem we are having with the chasConfigIfIndex is that it
really does not provide a good picture of interface usage.  We have batted
this around here for quite some time now and we think we may have a good
answer.  I will rough this out and worry about going to ASN.1 later if
we agree that this is what we want.

Let's consider an interface table.  This table would be indexed by
segment and by our friend chasConfigIfIndex.  The table would also
contain slot number (this would provide us sufficient information to
visit the config table to get entity ID.

Now what does this provide us.  First we get all the information
currently available with chasConfigIfIndex of interfaces connected
segments.  In addition by using the concept of a null segment we can
show those external interfaces.  This seems to provide us with a much
more complete view of interface usage.

The table would look something like this

chasInterfaceTable
	INDEX { chasInterfaceSegment, chasInterfaceIfIndex }

chasInterfaceSegment
	As referenced in the config table

chasInterfaceIfIndex
	Interface number

chasInterfaceSlotID
	As reference to config table

So what do you all think?  Is this worth adding to the MIB?

/David Arneson [arneson@ctron.com] [ (603)332-9400 ]