Re: Simple Question

kzm@hls.com (Keith McCloghrie) Thu, 18 June 1992 07:22 UTC

From: kzm@hls.com
Subject: Re: Simple Question
To: ken@signet.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1992 00:08:52 -0700
Cc: chassismib@cs.utk.edu, hubmib@synoptics.com

Ken,

I think a better analogy would be: a workstation with several
interfaces, and you are incoporating into the workstation, a
terminal server-type capability for some of the interfaces.
To refer to the 2nd SLIP interface on the 2nd terminal server,
you would need different MIB views for the different terminal
servers.  Since you don't want to assign IP addresses to the
individual terminal servers, and you presumably want to have a
single SNMP agent manage everything, you would need to assign
different community names (or party OIDs) to each of them.
A standard NMS having the ability to communicate via a proxy
agent (e.g., the NMS that I am most familiar with) would then
be able to refer to ifOperStatus.2 in the appropriate community
(or party).

Why do I think this is a better analogy ?  Because it is adding
additional *devices* (not just *interfaces*), which is what you
are doing in your scenario by incorporating multiple repeater
devices into an existing bridge device.  Thus, to refer to your
2nd port of the 2nd group of the 2nd repeater, the NMS would refer
to rptrPortOperStatus.2.2 in the appropriate community (or party).

[Also note that that there is no (longer a) separate "View MIB", and
implementing the Party MIB is (expected to become) required irrespective
of whether or not you add repeater functionality.]

Keith.