Re: Our FAQ Document

William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu> Sat, 08 May 1993 04:17 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 May 1993 23:14:50 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: William Manning <bmanning@is.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: Our FAQ Document
To: Multiple recipients of list ISN-WG <ISN-WG%UNMVMA.BITNET@vm.usc.edu>

My 0.02 for tonight.
Comments are >, below relevent sections of the FAQ.  We might follow the NOOP
example and publish this as a combined effort of the ISN WG, if you get enough
participation.

     What is the Internet?

> Recent documents point to a changed definition of the "Internet" as
> a series of interconnected networks that have the ability to share
> information in near realtime. I am not sure that the TCP/IP suite
> is the sole designator anymore, particularly since the "Internet"
> is now a multiprotocol environment.

     What are the benefits of using the Internet in the classroom?
     (How have other schools or districts used the Internet?  How has
     its use improved or changed education and/or professional
     development?)

        The Internet makes many resources from all over the world
        available to students and teachers, including original source
        materials.  It brings information, data, images, and even
        computer software into the classroom from places otherwise
        impossible to reach, and it does this almost instantly.  Access
        to these resources can yield individual and group projects,
        collaboration, curriculum materials, and idea sharing not found
        in schools without Internet access.

> This hints at, but never exposes the idea that Individuals with access
> to the "Internet" are sources of information.  This paragraph emphasises
> the "take" component, (what can I bring into my environment) and perhaps
> should stress the idea that these sites can become valuable sources.

        The Internet is blind to class, race, ability, and disability.
        It is a natural for addressing the needs of all students;
        exactly how this is done will vary from school to school.
> as the school empowers the individual.

     Where does my school get the money for conecting to the Internet
     and how much is needed?

> Through Federal/State/District/School funding efforts and/or private
> Grants.

     How do I convince the people in our system with the purse strings
     to spend money on this?

> Become a visonary.  Form or Join a District/PTO Technology committee.
> By working with existing programs in Universities/Federal Agencies (NSF
> Superquest)/State/Community (Freenets and/or BBS)  to provide pilot
> programs to the schools to show proof of concept.  Work with Equipment
> vendors to provide workstations/terminals at low/no cost.

     What kind of equipment (hardware, software, etc.) does my school
     need in order to support an Internet connection?

> See Gene Hastings list....

     What is required in terms of personnel to support an Internet
     connection?  (Will it require extra staff, training, more time of
     teachers, etc.?)

> All users will need some level of training.  There may be support
> requirements, depending on the hardware involved.

     What other costs are involved in developing a networking program?

> A continuing commitment to utilize this technology.  This may force
> a basic change in education as currently practiced.

     Where do I go for technical support and training?

> The network. Your local community. Your service provider.  Formal classes.
> Seminars.  In that order. :)

     How do I learn about options for getting my school connected?

> Contact your local university.  Contact the NIC of NICs for a referal.

     How many of our computers should we put on the Internet?

> As many as possible.

     Should we set up a telecommunications lab or put networked
     computers in each classroom?

> Both, if you can get away with it, and get a commitment to use the labs.

     Can people get on the Internet from home?

> It depends on the Service Provider.  (Remember, this is not UScentric.
> How is the school in So'ate Chile going to attach?  Are the teachers
> going to be able to get access from their homes?)

        policy, but also state and federal laws may apply.  There are

> Change federal to NATIONAL in the above line.  This whole section
> is US oriented.

     How do we keep viruses from attacking all our computers if we get
     connected to the Internet?

> Disconnet from the Internet. Forbid the use of any software which is tainted.
> And/Or, Run regular checks for viruses on all systems where this is feasable.

     What are the rules for using the Internet?

> They vary by Service provider.  In virtually all cases, these rules are
> bilateral, between provider and subscriber. It may be important to get
> copies of your providers agreements with its peers.

     How can I find specific projects using the Internet that are
     already developed?

> Use of network navigation tools will help focus your efforts. Several
> popular tools are WAIS, WWW, and GOPHER.

     Where do I go to find colleagues who support networking and
     schools willing to participate in projects?

> Use the net Luke.

     Which ones are specifically relevant for educators and students?

> The answers will depend on the individual and class.  Peers, both on campus
> an on the net.  Mentors, over the net.  Service provider pointers.
> Ones that you create/maintain for use by yourselves and your peers.

     How can I add my own contributions to the Internet?

--
Regards,
Bill Manning         bmanning@rice.edu        PO Box 1892