Re: [codec] #3: 2.2. Conferencing: Support of binaural audio?

"Christian Hoene" <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de> Tue, 23 March 2010 18:04 UTC

From: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: 'Slava Borilin' <Borilin@spiritdsp.com>, codec@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:04:21 -0700
Subject: Re: [codec] #3: 2.2. Conferencing: Support of binaural audio?

Hi Slava,

>I agree 100% that the conference should be stereo, however, I am not sure that CODEC should solve еры
>positioning task.

No, this is not the task of the codec but the conferencing application

>There are other ways like sending the spatial position toward the client and let the client-side to
>the positioning job.
>(remember, that in today's conference, like H.264SVC, assume that each participant MAY HAVE DIFFERENT
>LAYOUT of participants on the screen, therefore, spatial position can be different for different
>listeners).
>So its not probably wise to mix in stereo on the server...

Actually, here are two ways of implementing:
a) Mixing all streams at all clients (requires N clients to N clients mono distribution).
b) Mixing at a central conferencing server (requires N clients to 1 server (mono) and 1 server to N clients (stereo) distribution)

Currently, I do not understand, why (b) is unwise.

(a) does not have any impact on the requirements but in case of (b) codec requirements are the support of stereo speech transmission and support for efficient mixing.

With best regards,
 Christian