Re: [codec] this weeks summary

"Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <rchen@broadcom.com> Mon, 10 May 2010 20:07 UTC

From: "Raymond (Juin-Hwey) Chen" <rchen@broadcom.com>
To: Christian Hoene <hoene@uni-tuebingen.de>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 12:57:51 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [codec] this weeks summary

Hi Christian,

> Raymond did a great job explaining the special requirements of high-density
> VoIP gateway. They are differ substantially to those of
> soft-phones (but are somewhat similar to VoIP phones with embedded CPUs). The
> requirements include low memory footprint, ultra-low
> delay, low complexity and mostly narrow band. But aren't those requirements
> already covered by existing codecs? Shall this working
> group provide a codec profile for end-to-gateway beside the profile for an
> end-to-end codec?

[Raymond]: Which existing codecs satisfy all these requirements
and the three conditions listed at the beginning of the IETF
codec WG charter?  Also, we are not talking about an additional codec
profile for "end-to-gateway"; no, what we are talking about is just part of
the "IPend-to-transcoding_gateway-to-PSTNend" scenario that you listed in
one of your original emails that discussed the codec requirements.

> SpiritDSP and Christian were discussing the need for layered coding - no
> consensus yet...

[Raymond]: I think layered coding (or embedded coding) is a nice feature to
have.  Some of the other SDOs have standardized layered codecs.  Besides
the pros and cons of layered coding already discussed last week, I think
another potential benefit is that as the packets of layer-coded bit-stream
traverse the network, higher-layer bits can be stripped off by network
nodes to reduce congestion. (This is probably not done, but can be done.)

> The week before, we were discussing whether to consider Bluetooth and Wireless
> IP as use cases. It seems to be a rough consensus
> that wireless IP is in-scope and that Bluetooth is out-of-scope because it
> requires too special optimizations. However, battery
> powered, wireless devices might require low-complexity and low-bandwidth (and
> are in-scope?).

[Raymond]: I read an article that says that PC was the big thing in
the decade of 1990-2000, Internet was the big thing in the decade of 2000-
2010, and Mobile Internet will be the next big thing in the decade of 2010-
2020. Judging from the recent trends in smart phones, netbooks, and
Tablets/iPad, it seems that Mobile Internet indeed will be the next big
thing this decade.  Given this, I think battery-powered wireless Internet-
capable devices should be in-scope, and low codec complexity is an
important consideration in these devices.